The subject of art as one of the areas of knowledge was presented to my class by one of our school’s art, Mr. Mc Crory. With this presentation, we discussed the meaning of art, and it’s links to other areas like with math.
When looking at the heated debate of “What is art”, things we came up with were:
- Expressing oneself creatively in a way which is aesthetically pleasing to others
- Displaying emotion and thoughts through senses using a variety of medium
- Self expression
- The idea of no “rights” or “wrongs”
- Simple belief of “Everything can be art”
- Creative outlet that conveys emotion or messages through any median
Reflecting on the different ideas discussed, I believe that art is a mix of all. Art is subjective to the person being asked, hence my view may differ greatly from others. I find that it is self expression in a way that pleases oneself and possibly others. Important to remember is that art includes both visual but also things like music, and when looking at music, it is said: “A good song is one that relates to the singer. A great song is one that relates to everyone.”
Also when linking art with other subjects, the idea that art and math relate is usually not the first thought that slips into people’s minds. Although many people believe that math and art don’t have anything to do with each other, it is noticed that math can be seen a lot in art. Famously known, the “Golden Ratio” is said to be seen in different works of art and in nature as well.