In my physical education class, we studied on movement composition. This created us opportunities to explore and work with different types of dance. For the dance plan, I worked with Duncan Aronson. We planned on focusing our dance lesson on rhythm and precision.
I think my plan was highly effective. Regarding my aim, every activity was linked very well. For example, in my warm-ups we included a little rhythmic activity where they were able to explore with different types of beats. Throughout my dance lesson, I was able to see people develop their rhythmic sense because by the end, they showed a good quality dance. I think my dance plan was effective where students were able to obtain skills from it.
One of my strongest teaching component was being able to give feedbacks and ideas to the group. Referring to my interpersonal skills, I was able to engage into a talk with individual groups and provide them with advises. While they were work on the dance choreography, I walked around the gym to see if anyone was struggling. Since the dance choreography was pretty hard, a lot of people were having troubles with the rhythm. I was able to help them understand the rhythm of the song and eventually the whole choreography. This really helped individuals develop their dance.
On the other hand, one of my weakest teaching component was to create an atmosphere where everyone was able to stay on task. Some people lost concentration and often got off task. It was my responsibility to keep them engaged. I could have developed my dance plan so that it is more exciting and can keep them really interested. I think the major reason why is because my dance lesson was too hard. The choreography was filled with hard moves and beats where a lot of people either gave up or just messed around. To not further stress them, we altered the plan where we had people make their own partner. Before the lesson, we already had the pairs with mixed genders. Next time, I should teach the choreography step by step or choose a suitable song.
There weren’t any major challenges, but I faced some minor challenges such as managing time. Due to a limited amount of time, even though we had all the times planned out, we ran out of time at the end of the lesson, due to overload of time in one activity. Like mentioned, the dance was really hard and everyone clearly needed more time, so we provided them with some. Then it affected the activities which came afterwards. Eventually, we had to rush our way throughout the lesson. This is not the most effective way to carry out the lesson, but it worked out fine.
Next time, I would definitely come more prepared where I can see where everything is and what I am going to do. I didn’t know how to work out the projector so I had to carry on my first activity without it. It didn’t effect my lesson but it could have been better with one.
I was most happy when I saw everyone work with such enthusiasm. In one of our activity, we included something called the “Dance battle”. Everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and I think that was the most successful part of my lesson.
Overall, everything went according to plan and I am very happy with the result. We had some changes throughout the lesson, but I definitely had fun teaching my dance plan.