We have done a water rocket experiment in the science period. The aim was to find out how much the rocket will fly with a pet bottle using tape and cardboard. I knew that when the rocket cuts through the air the air has to come back together at the end,which lead every group to have a sharp nose which makes less friction. It’ll fly higher because there is nothing it could hit in the sharp surface.
My prediction was the group A. They had the rocket which flew the highest, because their rocket design was great and scientifically done. Just what I have said before, the great rocket design of the nose can cut off friction which causes less friction. My prediction was correct, Group A did won.
We used 2 500ml pet bottles, some tapes and cardboard. We made nose as a small end part of the pet bottle and 1 bottle for the main body. We used lots of tapes to stick. We used cardboard to make wings where we have put it on the bottom of the main body to cut off friction. We have thought of the design by looking at the example rocket our teacher have made. We copied the way the example was and had a perfect design of all. The wings were exactly the same but the problem was then we didn’t got to have time to finish off the nose. We spend too much time on wings. So I had this idea for the last 1 minute to just tape the part where caps which was not allowed.
We put about 200 ml of water in the pet bottle, and set it on the launch pad.Students got to pump the air in the pet bottle, and needed somebody to check the air pressure. Some of those groups I have mentioned went really high which was group 1 and 2 ended tie and followed by Group 3 went high, but some failed because of leaks like ours. There was something wrong with the pet bottle and waters were leaking out. It wasn’t because of our design even you can say it was because of the tape. I really didn’t matter of tape because it was just a design on top of the bottom of the bottle where we didn’t even touch it. The winning rocket had wings had a great design and narrow which have cut the friction and it flew really high. Group D finally had another chance just with plain petbottle, and it actually flew really high. It was actually higher than other rockets, but it didn’t count as a result.
I think it was a really fun experiment and a fair results. So I want to thank a lot to Ms. Pierce who have leaded us to this activity:)