In PE we had to plan our own lesson to teach a dance to half of the class. I partnered with Aude, and together we taught a hiphop dance routine. Together we planned out our aims, warm up, and then the final routine, on a Google Document that we later on shared with the students. Both the warm up and routine were found on YouTube, but together we had to find the perfect warmup and routine that allowed us to fully teach our aims – energy and timing.
I think that my planning was effective overall, because I knew what had to be done. This way I was able to be organised throughout the entire time, and let things move from one activity to another. Along with that, as I knew what exactly had to be done we managed to finish everything on time, with everything that had to be done, finished. The planning allowed me to know what was supposed to be done, so it was then easier for me to see if someone was actually doing the activity properly or not.
I think my strongest teaching component was being comfortable and confident with everyone. As the class being taught were my peers, I didn’t mind going up to them personally and asking how the dance was going. Along with that, I was able to speak to the class as a whole, and not be afraid to tell them to stop doing something that wasn’t correct, or tell them that they needed to improve on something.
My weakest teaching component was perhaps being too nice or lenient. Originally we had planned that we were going to make the students create a part themselves at the end, but when looking at the time we decided that it was there choice. This resulted in no one doing it, while they could have had the time, or people fooling around during this creation stage. Instead of this, perhaps we could have said either to do one or the other, not allow them to choose. But I think overall being nice was alright, as it didn’t bring any fuss among the students.
As mentioned before, one of the challenges was trying to make the students focused towards the end when we allowed the studnets either create their own moves, or continue practicing the dance. Because some of the students weren’t doing either and were just talking to each other or sitting with each other. But we solved this by going up to them and asking them what they were doing, and if they were just gonna continue practicing or creating their own part. But this may have been due to another problem, in which we could have used a little more time in the end, but it turned out alright.
I think that I’d use the video for the routine again, and especially with going up to the students throughout and asking them how they were doing, and if they needed any help or such. But instead of having the warmup as a video, perhaps I would create my own so I can have some more connection with them in the beginning, instead of allowing them to be using the laptops and videos throughout the entire lesson.
I think the happiest part for me was when we made everyone dance their parts together just to see where everyone was, that they all did really well, and nearly aced the dance already. It was great to see them be able to dance the piece properly, and well.
Everything went mainly to plan, except for the ending in which we wanted everyone to preform in their pairs [but we just made them preform as an entire class] and that we also wanted people to create their own dance for the ending, but in the end just allowed them to do it if they wanted to.