For the 2nd unit in Art, we experimented with Cartooning and Adobe Illustrator. The teacher choose a font for us and we had to draw a cartoon based on the font. We used adobe illustrator to finalize our cartoons. Overall I really enjoyed this Unit.
(The picture to the left is my final drawing)
So my font was “Chalk Duster“. I felt like this was one of the easier ones since I already had a basic idea of this font. When I thought of Chalk, I imagined a old teacher and thats what I drew for my final. I tried to portray the stereotypical old teacher. I consider that I captured most of the things that a old teach would have. Examples, Suit, Grey Hair, Glasses, thick eyebrows with mustaches. Not only I tried to capture the physical parts of the character but the feel of it to. That could be the stance or the facial expression. To “write a picture”, you have to portray the character from its looks or personalities. Portraying the looks of the font was easy for me, but the it was hard to show the characteristics of the character. For the characteristics, I changed the pose, facial expression and also I added a background setting. The background setting was a chalkboard.
In my design, I had strengths and weaknesses. The strength for me was the posture of the character. I made it pointing something and its other hand writing something on the Chalk Board. I think that helped the design by adding more than just the face or the clothes. It added more detail and a vivid idea of the character. I feel I could of improved on the face design with more experimentations. I didn’t experiment much with the facial parts or the facial expressions. If I did, I think it would of been more detailed.
I could also develop and improve on my artistic processes. I didn’t research about my font as much as I should of been. Since my font was self explanatory, I came up with ideas really fast. I did eventually finish the project well, but I should of spent more time researching for further developments of details. If my font was something really unfamiliar I would be stuck during the process, but since my font was easy to me I was lucky. So I consider that I have to be more prepared and use my time efficiently to every detail.
Stereo Types definitely aided when I was creating my character. We didn’t have a picture, we started off with a font. Without stereotypes there would of been huge problems while making the characters. The only way to expand my ideas towards the font is to think up with stereo types and use it beneficially for the facial expression, clothing and posture. Thinking in a more general way, without stereo types there would be no characteristics in individuals. The characters are made from its stereo types.Thats what makes individuals unique. Stereo Types are a way to recognize and consider what that individual has. I feel like stereo types really helped me with this project.
Overall, I really enjoyed this unit. It was fun. I had some strengths and weaknesses, areas that I could improve and how to utilize stereo types when making a character. I learned quite a lot of things during this unit.