Just before spring break, we finished our final tutorials in tech class. During the process, we had to use unstructured work time, so we had to organize when we were going to do different steps. I’m quite happy that we’re done with it because there was a lot of hard work involved, but it was also really fun to make. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, my tutorial is about how to multiply and divide fractions. I made it to help people that want to learn how to, because if my tutorial wasn’t useful, there wouldn’t be any point in making it. Now that we finished, I am happy with my final tutorial, because I know I put a lot of effort into it, and did the best that I can. I also think that it turned out pretty well, and I think (at least I hope) that someone, somewhere will think that it’s useful.
This is my finished tutorial:
Throughout the process of making my tutorial, I learned a lot of things. First of all, it’s very important to plan out your time and the different steps you have to go through to get to your final product, because if you don’t know what to do, you can’t get anywhere. I was planning to practice, but ended up just recording each section separately using voiceover on iMovie. That way, if I just recorded two or three times, it would work out fine. Of course I also learned how to make a good tutorial in general, using the class criteria we made at the beginning of the year.
One thing that was quite difficult for me was when all of my audio went wrong. For some reason it looked like everything was there, but I couldn’t hear it (and no, I didn’t have the mute button on). I could easily replace the music, but all of my voiceover clips were gone too, which would almost be like starting all over. Luckily, I noticed that on one of the voiceover files, there was a little yellow triangle with an exclamation point inside it. I just deleted that one file, and everything went back to normal, I just had to re-record that one part.
Most of the other things were easy to do, especially adding titles, and transitions, and cropping the image. I added a simple title that had the name of each step in the top-left corner of the video, and used the same transition to connect clips, so that was quite simple. I also cropped each video a little bit, so that I only included the part of the screen that I needed. (I had recorded by filming my screen while I kept clicking the undo button on Doozla – that way each step showed up with one click.) It sounds kind of complicated, but it’s really simple once you know what to do.
One of the 3 main criteria that my tutorial meets is having clear directions. I think that in my tutorial all of the instructions are clear, and easy to understand. Whenever I needed to, I went over a step again, and I didn’t go too fast. Before I filmed my tutorial, I asked a few friends if the directions were clear, and they said they were, so I went on from there. The second criteria is good quality. The quality of my video was good, so that the audience would be able to see clearly what to do. I also think that the quality of the voiceover clips I used was clear, so people could also hear what to do. The last criteria I think my tutorial meets is being on topic. The whole time I was talking about how to multiply and divide fractions, and I didn’t stray into other subjects. Having your video on topic is a good thing, because otherwise people might get bored or confused and find a different tutorial.
There was one other step in between that we had to do: the analyze step. We had to look at at least two tutorials that other people in the grade made. I looked at Helen’s and Marina’s. From Helen’s I learned how to make a splatter painting correctly. Before I watched it, I didn’t know that you were supposed to tap the brush, which is a lot cleaner than just flicking it everywhere. I thought it was really good how she put parts of the video in slow motion, which is a really good technique, because it shows the audience exactly what it should look like. I learned about how important repetition is from Marina’s, especially when you’re teaching a language, which she was. Her tutorial was about how ‘J’ in spanish sounds like ‘H’. She repeated how to say different words several times, which was really helpful, because it emphasizes the correct way to say things.
I think that there are some other things I could learn how to do to make my tutorial even better. Originally, I was going to film myself drawing with a pencil and paper instead of on Doozla, but I couldn’t figure out how to film it. I think it might be good if we could learn an easy way to do that in class, not necessarily for me, but maybe in the years to come. Some things are really hard to do or show on Doozla or other computer applications, so as long as we can film the paper, it would be good. Otherwise I think that my tutorial turned out great, it was just that the process did take quite a while, but at the same time, there was a lot of effort put into it.
Now that our whole tutorial unit is finished, I feel a bit sad, but really proud of everything I’ve accomplished over the time. I really learned a lot from this whole process, because we had four sections, with four stages, which makes you really learn a lot. I’m very proud of my finished tutorial, and I think it will help lots of people, with learning how to multiply and divide fractions, and how to make a good tutorial.