- What is an atom? Describe the different parts and state where they can be found in an atom
Atoms are the extremely small particles of which we and everything around us, are made. /Atoms are the “building blocks” of all matter and are the simplest form of molecule. They are all made up of protons, neutrons and electrons.
- What is an element? Give three examples of an element and give a use in the real world for each of these elements
A element, is a material which cannot be broken down or changed into another substance using chemical means.
Examples of elements are: Na/ Sodium, Mg/magnesium, O/oxygen
- What is a molecule? Give three examples of a molecule and give a use in the real world for each of these elements
Examples of a molecule: FE/iron, Cr/chromium, S/sulfur
- What is a compound? Give three examples of a compound and give an use for each one
Examples of a compound: Co/cobalt, No/nitric oxide, UO3/Uranium oxide
- What is a physical change? Give an example
For a physical change, it is still the same chemical or substance. No mass is lost.
Example, A physical change occurs when there has been a change in state such as ice to water.
- What is a chemical change? Give a few different examples
A chemical change occurs when a new chemical or substance is formed, dissolving salt in water, burning wood, mixing acid and base, digesting food.
For example: Magnesium + Hydrochloric Acid = Hydrogent
No mass is lost in a chemical reaction.