What is my wellness?
I think everybody have asked this question to them selves. In my life, there are many types of wellness.
Physical wellness is one of the largest aspect that I care about in my life. This year I have played sports in all three season which helped me understand more things about myself. First season I was in the Varsity Boys Volleyball team. Although I was not the player that was always on the court, I trained as hard and cheered as hard or maybe harder than the members in the team. Being in the volleyball team made me more healthy physically but also socially. Being in a team or group of people makes me physically healthy because I have to work hard to keep up my skills. I would train from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm as a team practice every Monday Wednesday and Friday but stay for 30 40 minutes to train by myself so I can be in the starter’s position. This kept me fit. It also helped me keep me more mentally stabled because when I am playing sports I am concentrating and I don’t have enough time to think about other things. So this makes me not worry about problems I’m having and I can enjoy my self fully.
Other than sports teams, I was able to keep a healthy relationship with my friends. Although I get irritated easily, I was able to control my emotions a little bit more this year. This was possible with my best friends help.
In response to The Guardian’s article on the Charlie Hebdo attack, I believe that freedom of speech gives every man and women rights to express their thoughts and their view of the world freely. However consequences may follow when expressing their opinion freely. An example of that is Charlie Hebdo Attack in 2015.
Charlie Hebdo Attack was triggered by caricatures of Muhammad. This case was the consequence for freedom of speech. Although there is a counter argument that freedom of speech do give everybody the rights to express their feeling, there should be a limit to what you can express. After a certain point, it becomes a hate speech. Pope Francis has also stated “There is a limit. Every religion has its dignity…in freedom of expression there are limits.”
Francis’s opinion on freedom of speech should have limits so it doesn’t lead to hate speech. This is hard because borderline between freedom of speech and hate speech is unclear.
As our parents taught us, we should think before we say things to public. This can help the whole situation to be solved more peacefully. Since people won’t be insulted by comics and speeches because people will filter what they will say.
Realism, the Stanislavsky system; the definitions of situation, conditions and circumstances in relation to acting, directing & theatre in general.
1. Key Idea (Explanation of a concept explored)
2. Approach (Process in class or in rehearsal)
3. Outcome (Achievements, Problems, Solutions)
4. Connections (between ideas, skills and practice > even live theatre)
Nowadays there are so many news over Verona about Montagues and the Capulets. There are so many fights between each other. People have died from the fights too. There are some rumors going around the town that Juliet Capulet and Romeo Montague is close with each other. There will be many people disappointed and angry with them if it was true but this could be the only way the two families will have better relationship.
- What was your first thought when you heard that Romeo was a Montague?
- I was despaired. I didn’t know what I was suppose to do. It was like finding a treasure but can’t take it with you because it has traps on it. When the nurse told me that the perfect man was a Montague’s only son, Romeo, I didn’t understand what she said. It took me 10 seconds to understand every single word and understand what she meant. When I understood what nurse meant, I grudged against my destiny. The one person I love so much was my family’s worst enemy..
- Have you ever felt hatred against the Montagues? If yes did it change after meeting Romeo?
- Yes…. I did. Thinking about it now, it is pretty shameful thing to do. Hating each other just because your family does? We are so immature, seriously, what are we doing? Why aren’t we trying to help each other and make Verona a better place? Instead we are just fighting all over the town and just making the place a dangerous place. Everything changed after I met Romeo. He helped me realise that there was no need to hurt each other. Now I don’t hate Montagues at all. They are just same people like us. They have family like me, they have heart like me, they most definitely have nice people like Romeo too!
- Does Romeo know that your father wants you to marry Paris?
- I don’t think so. However he will eventually know. I don’t want him to go against my father though. My father will get so mad and big fight will occur between the Capulets and the Montagues. This will make it harder for us to get accepted. Not only that Romeo could be killed in the strife.
- How did you feel when you first met Romeo?
- Oh my… Just remembering it gets me hot. The second I saw him, my eyes couldn’t see anything else. The difference between Romeo and other guys like Paris was too different. If Paris was a normal guy then Romeo would be lofty dream. He was the only guy that I would like being with. I knew that the second we saw each other right in the eyes.
- What is your advice to lovers that have parents that are against them on date each other?
- Hmm.. this is a hard question because Romeo and I haven’t even got our parents to be fine with each other yet. One thing I can say is, if you have love you can do anything. Look at us, our parents are the worst enemies. My brother cousins hate Romeo’s cousins but we are still together and we didn’t let ourselves down just because of our family. So I am confident to say that love is all you need.
- What is your father and your mother like in your house?
- My mother is always listening to my father. She doesn’t do anything that will do something that he doesn’t like. So when he was mad at me because I said I don’t want to marry Paris, he was pushing me to the floor and everything but my mother didn’t even flinch. My father is usually a good person except for when people disagrees and goes against him. Then he gets really irritated and mad. In the house he is usually a good father. However I don’t know what they are thinking. I’m not really close to them so I don’t know what they are thinking of. I know saying that I am not close to my parents is pretty weird but it is true.
- What would your life have been like if you didn’t meet Romeo?
- My life would have been boring simple life as Paris’ wife. Seriously, what am I supposed to do? If I didn’t meet Romeo, I would have just a very systematic life. Nothing special will happen, I wouldn’t be looking forward to any special time like I am right now, my parents will force me to do what they want me to do. That will be it.
- What did you think when you heard that Romeo killed Tybalt?
- I was shocked. I didn’t know what to do. Nurse came rushing into my room while I was lying on my bed and I hear the the horrible news. I was so shocked that tears didn’t even come out of my eyes. First person I worried was Romeo not Tybalt. I knew that he died so I worried about Romeo getting killed by the police.
- Would you still love Romeo even after he killed Tybalt, will your choice be the same if you actually saw him killing Tybalt?
- I don’t know. I will most definitely be scared of him. However we will solve the problem by talking over and what happened. After all, the one I love more than anyone is Romeo. I will be mad at him too. I would be mad and say things that might hurt him because I love him.
- What is your dream with Romeo?
- My dream with Romeo, is a simple life. I want him to be free from the sins and I want him to be with me all the time. I don’t want to struggle without him anymore. I would like to live in the countryside without any pressure from my parents. Two kids and a dog. Until this happens I will not die. Hopefully he comes back soon.
Translated into modern English by Shaun Kaneda
For the past few weeks in our drama class, we have been working on our own set of the play “The Intruder” We have created our own set from zero. We researched what kind of Furniture works or what kind of color will match the theme in the play. Then we created our own floor plan. We looked at the space and chose what needed to be in the middle and what needed to be on the side. After that we started to create our very own stage set.
When creating the set I imaged myself being in the scene. Then I was able to see what kind of items and things connected to the main theme. In the play Sofa and the window played one of the hugest role as a furniture. That is why we put a big sofa in the middle where everyone can see. After that we made sure that the windows were very visible. When making decision on where to put the item, we made sure that we didn’t mess up the play because some parts of the stage must be there or else the play will be messed up. We left the door open in the set so we can create the image of “Intruder” even though they will shut the door, if we kept it open in the beginning, it would have a big effect on the play. We put in total of 3 doors. One was to get to the stairs, one was to go to the room on the right and the other to the left. We didn’t have much choice on the doors because on the play it said where to place them. We made sure that the clock is in the middle too because the play has a big turning point when the clock goes off. (I’m not going to spoil the play for you 😉 )
We made many connections while creating this box set. In class we’ve learned about how color can change out people think about a room and how it feels like. We’ve also learned about staging. We’ve learned about how middle and the left side will get more attention than the right side. First we used the knowledge of color in the set. As you can see in the photo’s we made sure that the walls are black. This has a big affect on people because when you are surrounded by black walls people get feeling of oppression. For staging, we made sure that the important items are in the middle. Not only that we made sure that father and the uncle are on the left side because they have many lines and they say a lot of important parts in the play. On the other side we made sure that the sisters are on right and close to the window.
For drama, we are now starting to look at the staging and how it works. In this assignment, we had to create our own room on the paper as a “set” of the play. We had magazines and cloth to create a collage on a white paper. We had to come up with ideas. The theme was “My room is my…”. I think my room is my relaxing room. There aren’t many things on my paper (room) That is because my “relaxing” room has to be very simple in order for me to just sit there and rest. I don’t have to be doing something to be relaxing.
The first thing I did with my work is that I cut out things that was in my room and that was also my favorite things. I also looked at what had good combination with other things because since it is my relaxing room I had to have color that was too strong and stop my me from getting rest. Not only that my room will look unorganised and dirty. In my work I left many white space. That is to show how my room can be spacey so I can rest and do things I want to do. I added two sports in the paper. Baseball and Basketball this is because they are the two sports I play a lot and like. I wanted to add volleyball because that is also one of my favorite sport. However sadly I couldn’t find any picture of volleyball. I also had some knives and deodorant because I have some of them in my room. So I had different type of things on my paper.
Overall I think I did pretty well with my work because I was able to balance out things I have and the space I had on my paper and it didn’t feel super packed. My bed was hand made because I couldn’t find any picture of it. However it described my bed pretty well because my bed isn’t anything fancy. It is just simple and just for sleeping. The bed I made on paper is just like that. It is simple and nothing special. It also created a feeling of my room being is simple and nothing complicated.
The main reason why Toyota Motor’s stock went up is because the oil price dropped drastically. The oil price has been dropping for last few months because they were over producing them. So people used cars to travel since it didn’t cost as much money as it did. People who didn’t have car started to buy car thanks to the oil price crashing. So the main cause of Toyota Motor’s stock rising is oil price crash.
The main reason why Volkswagen’s stock dropped was because they were lying about their cars. They have deceived their costumers by faking the amount of gas that was released when using the car.
Today in InS class we looked at what can affect memory. In the last class we looked at difference between visual memory and audio memory. However today in class we looked at how music can affect our memory.
I believed that music would help working memory because I thought it would help concentrate. Also I predicted that Welcome to the jungles by Gun’s and Roses was going to have the most affect since the song is very loud and it can be the most distracting or most helpful. Also I thought that let it go would be the most helpful since everyone knows that song and have heard it many times.
In today’s experiment, we first had 4 columns of 13 words. Then we pick 3 music to listen whilst trying to remember the words in one column. For today we chose Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds, Welcome to the Jungle, and last and definitely the least (wink wink Mr. MacAulay) least Frozen. Then we had 1 minute to memorise the song with white noise, Lucy in the sky with diamonds, welcome to the jungle, and let it go. I scored the best on white noise, getting 13 points. My worse was welcome to the jungle where I got 10 points. I was first surprised that people scored the lowest in Lucy in the sky with the diamonds. However when I thought about it and realised that that was the first one which could have surprised the testiest and could have affected the test results.
For past years in phycology, phycologists have been talking about Nature and Nurture. Nature and Nurture is two ways that people act.
Nature is when people act the way they do because of their genes and how their parent’s were. Nature is related to DeNA and their parent’s genes. Parent’s genes gets passed to their child. Nurture is when people’s action is influenced by the environment they are in. Nature is genetic and biological factors that affects children’s while Nurture is environmental factors.
Lots of studies was done to study this topic. One of the famous one is the story of the Jim Twins. Jim Lewis and Jim Springer were identical twins born in 1940. However they were raised by different parents which means that they were in different environment. This was one of the first separation test. This was a test for nurture. The twins were reunited after 39 years. At that point they started to understand their similarities and differences. Psychologists were very surprised with the result that they found out. Both of these twins suffered from headaches, they both bit their nails , smoked same kind of cigarettes, drove similar types of car and not only that they went to the same beach in Florida for vacation. This result was surprised us because it proved that they both were heavy smokers, they both bit their nails and they both suffered from headaches suggests that genetics play an important role in shaping who you are. This also shows that environment doesn’t affect as big of a roll as genes.
In conclusion from researching about Nature and Nurture, I think that Nature affects people more than nurture. As you can see in Jim twin‘s case, they had a lot of similarities even if they were raised in different environment. University of Minnesota took over 137 pairs of twins as test and it all proved that nature had a bigger impact. This all proves that you are not what you are influenced from others around you but you are what you are from inside. Genes affect you the most.
Cherry, K. A. (2009). What is nature versus nurture? Retrieved from http://psychology.about.com/od/nindex/g/nature-nurture.htm
Lewis, By Tanya. “Twins Separated at Birth Reveal Staggering Influence of Genetics.” LiveScience. TechMedia Network, 11 Aug. 2014. Web. 02Dec. 2015.