Korean Traditional Story – Sim Cheong (summarizing story)
- Once upon a time, there was Sim Cheong who was a caring daughter,
- After she lost her mom when she was young, she lived with her blind father.
- One day, she heard that her father would be able to get his sight back if they offer 300 bags of rice.
- His father promised to offer 300 bags of rice.
- However, Sim Cheong and her father were poor, so they could not afford to offer the rice.
- Sim Choeng sacrificed herself to make her father able to see.
- Sim Choeng fell into the water(sea).
- Sim Choeng thought she was going to die, but she was found by the king of the sea and she could stay in his palace.
- One day, the king heard Sim Choeng’s story that she is really sad because of her father who is living on his own.
- The king was moved by Sim Choeng’s kindness, so he sent Sim Choeng to go back to land by lotus to meet her father.
- When she arrived on land, a prince asked her to marry as Sim Choeng was very beautiful and kind.
- Sim Choeng lived with her husband happily, but she was still sad that she could not find his father.
- Her husband opened a big party for blind people.
- Her father was also invited to the party and she could notice him.
- Suddenly, her father opened his eyes
- Sim Choeng and her father hugged each other and cried.
- They lived happily ever after.
Link of the picture , story
-Theme or Message of story / Why is it a good story? / What type of story?
I think Sim Cheong is a really good story, because this story tells love that parents give. I was moved by Sim Choeng’s kindness when she sacrificed by herself for her father. This story is a Korean “folk tale” and the message of the story is that we should always respect and love our parents.