During Grade 7 art class, we worked on line drawing for 11-12 weeks. In this unit, our significant concept was “Line can be used to convey shape, texture and tone.” At the beginning of this unit, we practiced several line techniques such as matching, cross-hatching, random lines, and stippling. Secondly, we drew several things such as ocean waves and clouds using line techniques that we learned before. After that, we chose line drawing, which was drawn by Vincent Van Gogh, and tried to copy his work. Lastly, at the end of the unit, we combined two pictures and we drew that on one piece of paper (A3). I combined a image of a car, and a building in Motomachi, which is nearby my house.
The picture that I used to practice several line techniques :
It was hard to choose the pictures to make a good combination. This is because two pictures should match each other. However, I could not choose the best picture because I think my pictures do not really match each other. Maybe, I think it would be better if I chose the picture that was related to nature instead of modern things.
Here are the pictures that I used to combine (a car, and structure nearby Motomachi):
I used Photoshop to combine those two pictures.
My final composite image :
Before working on final paper(A3), I practiced on a transparent paper. I could see several differences between the first line drawing(transparent paper) and the second one(A3). I found out that I used more at lines for the second line drawing, such as stippling, scumbling, and cross-hatching. Second, I added more clouds, and changed the location of the trees to make my line drawing look better. I think my second line drawing became much better than the first line drawing. However, I want to make more improvements to make it perfect.
First thing that I need to improve is gradations. This is because I tried to use lots of gradation, but it did not express dark part and light part clearly. The second thing that I want to improve is usage of lines. It is because in my drawing, some of the parts look empty. Therefore, I think I should have drawn with more details. Although my final line drawing was not perfect, I think it was a good experience to learn different kinds of line techniques.
The picture that I drew (First one, and second one) :
During PE class, we did dance unit for a long time(about 2 months). Few weeks ago, our class performed our dance performances in pairs and I got several feedback from Ms.Hamada, my parents, and friends. They said the good thing was I had confidence and energy. However, they said I need to improve on facial expressions because I could not express my feeling. I think it was because I was a little bit nervous. However, I enjoyed this unit as it was good to cooperate with my partner and perform our own dance. I think dance unit also relates to volleyball unit because I need confident and energy to be good at them.
During drama class, our class did “DIY TV Program”. I worked with Mayuho, and our topic was “making an origami frog”. Our target audience was age 8 to 10.
I think my best skill was considering steps taken, energy, and jargon, and trivia. This is because Mayuho and I tried to clearly organize the idea first, then we explained making an origami frog step by step. Also, I think equipment and resources were also good, because we brought origami to the class and made our DIY TV Program much better by showing every step in front of the audience. Lastly, we could show confidence and energy because we memorized most of the script before presenting. I tried not to be nervous even though I made a little bit of mistake.
2. I think I should improve on “time order”. While explaining making an origami frog, it took some time to show and explain at the same time. Therefore, for some parts, it took longer than it had to be. I think it made the audience a little bored because they had to wait until we finished preparing and folding. However, I felt happy that the audience stayed focus on our DIY TV program.
Here is our DIY TV Program. Enjoy! :
7C Drama: DIY Programs5 from YIS Arts on Vimeo.
I think Eileen, Saya, and Ayana‘s DIY TV Program was good because their topic was interesting for me, and they were confident.
7C Drama: DIY Programs3 from YIS Arts on Vimeo.
Also, Here is a document that I planned for the DIY TV program.
Have you ever thought about what South Africa has experienced before? During the English class, we learned about South Africa. Our unit question was “What is the relationship between texts and the real world?”. Before answering this question, we watched a movie called “The Power of One”, read a book called “Journey to Johannesburg”, and wrote a magazine article about Soweto Uprising to get to know about South Africa. Throughout the unit, I learned that South Africa has changed a lot.
One of the most memorable things from the unit is Apartheid. I learned a lot about Apartheid especially when I was searching for the article, “Time of Fire”. It was a story about Soweto Uprising, and I wrote a short story as the main character named Grace. After being the main character, I learned that lots of people sacrificed themselves for a better and fair education. It was sad that black people lost their own rights during Apartheid, and many people were arrested and even died.
They were not allowed to use same public establishment :
Also, the movie, The Power of One, helped me to understand South African people’s feelings during the period of discrimination. At the beginning of this unit, it was hard to understand how South African people felt because I have never experienced any discrimination. However, after watching this movie, it was much easier for me too deeply understand black people’s feelings because this movie showed Apartheid very realistically. It was really cruel and frightening when lots of people were falling because of shootings from the police. At the end, I was happy when black people finally got freedom.
The Power of One :
The relationship between the texts and the real world is that there are still lots of people who are suffering from malnutrition. In “Journey to Jo’burg”, Dineo was suffering from malnutrition because he could not afford to eat enough food. We really need to help people who are suffering from lack of money, and try to find solutions to help them.
Apartheid is a big incident that will never be forgotten in South Africa. In this unit, the biggest change was my thoughts. Before learning this unit, the only thing that I could think about South Africa was its natural environment. However, now I know what they have experienced and I can even feel their pain. Therefore, this unit was a good opportunity to know how black people in South Africa got freedom.
Here is a video that will help you to know more about Apartheid as South African people’s point of view:
The calories of hot chocolate is 370.
Which of the options above will burn 370 kcal?
– All options above-
Here are screenshots :
During Drama class, we did “Informative Speech”. There were four topics that we could choose, and I chose holiday as my speech topic.
1. I think my best skill was “content”. This is because I always stayed on the topic, and I tried to convey a lot of information about Holidays. Also, my speech structure was good because I did in a correct order(introduction-body1-body2-conclusion). First, for introduction, I briefly explained about what I am going to talk about. Second, for body1 and body2, I talked about my favorite holidays. Most importantly, I gave a lot of information about Christmas and Chuseok to the audience. Third, for conclusion, I sum up the speech and finished my speech with “Thanks for watching”. Therefore, I think my best skill was “content”.
2. I think I should improve on my modulation and physicality. First, when I think back to the modulation of my speech, I think my speech speed was fast because I was nervous. Second, for the physicality, I think I looked palm card too often since I could not memorize all of my speech. Therefore, I could not use a lot of gestures when I was doing my speech. Next time, I should be more confident with lots of preparation so that I can give my speech more clearly and effectively.
Here is my informative Speech video :
7C Drama: Informative Speeches from YIS Arts on Vimeo.
During the math class, we learned about the golden ratio. Then, we researched about the relationship between the golden ratio and art, architecture, and music. Golden ratio is 1 : 1.168, which is also known as Phi.
The picture of Mona Lisa
Leonardo Davinci was one of the artists who used the golden ratio. If we look at the picture of Mona Lisa, the woman’s face (width and length) equals to the golden ratio. “Mona Lisa” includes lots of golden rectangles. If we draw golden squares inside the golden rectangle, we can discover that the edges of squares are all on the important focal points of the woman, such as her chin, her eye, her nose, and the upturned corner of her mysterious mouth. It was believed that Leonardo Davinci tried to apply mathematics into art.
The picture of The Great Pyramid of Giza
The Great Pyramid of Giza is a one of the examples that showing the existence of golden ratio in architecture. If we pretend there is a right triangle within the pyramid, the base of the right triangle above equals to 1 and the height equals to √1.618. Then, the hypotenuse of the right triangle will be 1.618. Therefore, we can say that the great pyramid of Giza is made out of golden ratio.
The picture of music
Fibonacci and phi(1.618) relationships are usually found in the timing of musical compositions. For example, the climax of songs is often found roughly around the phi point (61.8%) of the song, as opposed to the middle or end of the song. For example, in a 32 bar song, the climax would occur in the 20th bar.
During G7 English class, I read my own book called “Nobody Knows”, which is written by Shelley Tanaka. Then, I found connections between my book and the real world. I had three connections between the book and the real world, and they are family, friends, and money.
My first connection is family. In the story, there is a one family that live in Tokyo. There are 5 members including Akira, Kyoko, Shige, Yuki and their mom. However, Yuki and Akira have different fathers. One day, their mom goes to Osaka to earn money. She promises to come back again soon, but she never comes back after she leaves them in Tokyo. Children are abandoned by their mom and they have no one to take care of them. Therefore, Akira has to look after his siblings. I learned that in the world, they are many poor abandoned children. Then, their family have to become “households headed by children”, and they will really hard to live without their parents. We have to understand the problem and find solutions to help them.
This is a picture of the family in Nobody Knows
My second connection is friends. For Akira, it was always difficult to make friends because other people used to bully him because he lives in a dirty house. Later, he finally meets a girl named Saki. Saki is a kind and friendly girl who helps them a lot. Saki gives money for them, and she plays with Akira’s siblings. I was moved by her braveness and I thought that we really need to help poor neighborhoods because some of the people in this world really need others’ help.
This is a picture of Saki and Akira in Nobody Knows
My last connection is money. In this book, Akira, Shige, Yuki, and Kyoko do not go to school because their family cannot afford to send children to school. Also, their family is separated because their mom really needs to earn money in Osaka. Nowadays, the gap between the rich and poor is one of the big problem in the world.
This is a picture of the book
In the world, they are many people who suffer from the pressure of money. Also, there are many children who are abandoned by their parents and have to take care of themselves. Some of them even have to look after their siblings. Some of the families need to be separated because they do not have enough money to maintain their living. This shows that the “Gap between the rich and poor” is one of the big problems. It will be great to help poor neighborhoods because even a little support can make them much happier. I realized that I need to thank people me for giving me happiness. Because of the great lesson that I learned from the book, I will never forgot this book.
Here is a video about an issue related to this book :
1. Reflect on how well your digital story met the essential and desirable specifications you wrote for yourself when you did the peer assessment compared to how well you met these goals after the video was complete.: Before I create my video, my goal was making my video entertaining. First I created my video, and I got feedback from my friends. They saids they liked how I had different experiences along with different music, and background music matched with the scenes and my pace was easy to follow and hear. However, they saids it will be better if I make video more longer and try different effects when the pictures change. After I getting feedback, I add more scenes and tried to use more different effects when the picture change. When I showed my video to the audience, I think they were concentrating at my video. However I think my video was not really entertaining.
2. Reflect on your work during each part of the design cycle and explain areas for improvement with excellent detail and supporting examples. : I think I did pretty well on plan. This is because before I create my digital story, I collected and found the pictures that I am going to use. Also, I drew storyboard to create my video. However, I think I have to improve design because I brainstormed topic before create my video, but I did not wrote enough details.
3. Respond to the unit question: “How can we use media to communicate our stories?”: I think we can use our laptop to upload my video on the other site such as youtube. I think uploading video on the other sites will be good to communicate our stories because a lot of people can watch my video and show my ideas from video.