In science class, we needed to chose an article that’s connected to the world. Then we needed to write about how it affects the world. I chose an article that talks about how banana peels purifies water.
This article talks about a brazilian scientist discovering that most nutritious part of the banana was it’s peel. This article also tells that banana peels were effective in polluting water, and they can remove heavy metals.
- They first dried and chopped some banana peels.
- Then added them to jars of water which includes water from Brazil’s Panama River, which contain copper and lead.
- Then they build filters by shortening the banana peels and pushed them to make the water run through.
From this, they’ve founded out that:
- banana peels are better purifiers comparing to silica and carbon.
- banana peels can be re-used eleven times before it stops working.
- banana peels do not leave any chemical residue.
HOW IT AFFECTS THE WORLD:
It affects environmentally to the world because banana peels removes the heavy metals from the water. They remove heavy metals by collecting them from the water. And that can be toxic for people.
IS IT BENEFICIAL TO PEOPLE OR HARMFUL?:
I think that this is beneficial for people because of course, we drink water everyday. Without water we won’t survive. Waters are very important in out daily lives. Then we need to be aware of the minuscule metals and chemicals inside it that we can’t see. Also, I think that this science is beneficial because this can help countries that has dirty water. Like Africa.
WORDS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND:
- Purifier: To remove contaminants
- Residue: A part when you put liquid
- Minuscule: Extremely small
- Minced: Chop up, cut up into small pieces.
MLA FORMAT (SOURCES):
- Banana Peels – The New Water Purifier?” DOGOnews. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2014
- Banana.” Flickr. Yahoo!, n.d. Web. 26 Sept. 2014.