Last week, we had our koto concert. All the middle and high school koto students participated, and played a piece. The 8th graders played a piece called ‘Yume No Wa (夢の輪)’ by Sawai Hikaru.
During the preparation and rehearsal, I think we all did well on memorizing the piece, and not getting lost. However, we rushed a lot and was very fast than usual. It made it hard to play the notes accurately, and it didn’t sound good because we were out of sync. We played the piece 2 times during the rehearsal, and for the first one it was very fast and we were all not together so it didn’t sound good. But the second one was a lot better because it slowed down and stayed together than the first one.
To overcome this problem, we discussed about the tempo, and how we can make the performance better in the backstage. We decided that we should listen to each other all the time, and that if we lose track of the tempo or become confused we should look at Lisa, who was siting in the front and play it in the same speed because she usually plays in a good speed. Also we clapped and lip-synced the piece in the backstage so that we all know how fast/slow it should be.
Individually, I think I did quite well in the performance. I was able to play the piece without forgetting, and listened to each other. I think I played in a good tempo and played the strings with strength and accuracy. However, I accidentally played the wrong strings sometimes. As a group, I think we all did well on memorizing, focusing, and tempo. We played in a good tempo and stayed together. There were places we rushed, but we soon got back to the original tempo.
Next time I work on music for a performance, I will make sure I listen to others when I play so that I don’t rush or be late. When I practice at home, I will use a metronome or recording from class. Also, I will memorize the music faster so that I could focus on dynamics, tempo, and accuracy more. Overall, I really enjoyed playing this piece and I think the concert went well. I also enjoyed watching the other graders play their piece. There were improvements we could make, but I think we all had fun. I am looking forward to the next performance. 😀
In Science class, we are currently learning about Space. I chose the article called, Trash In Space.
Here is my work:
“Scientific Satellites.” Scientific Satellites. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Dec. 2014.
“Trash . . . . . In Space?” DOGOnews. N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Dec. 2014.
“Space.” Flickr. Sweetie187, 12 Mar. 2011. Web. 14 Dec. 2014.
Our koto concert is in 2 days (on Wednesday), and this is my practice log for this week. It would probably be the last for ‘Yume No Wa’. I focused on the section, ‘page 17 line 2~ page 19 end of line 2’. I chose this because this was a section I forget sometimes or get confused, and play the wrong strings. Here is a video of me playing↓
I think I did well on playing the strings with accuracy and playing the section without forgetting it or getting confused. I think I could do the rests more gently, and play it in a good tempo throughout the section to make it better. Until the koto concert, I would like to practice more to play it well with confidence at the concert.
Our first unit in Drama is ‘Being a Charater!’. We first discussed the question, ‘What makes a character?’ and the traits of characters such as stereotypes, status, attitude, motivation, physicality, vocal delivery, relationship groupings, and background. Then, we started to work on our Partner Scenes which was our first assessment. We first got into groups of pairs and decided on our character. My partner was Megumi.
First, my partner and I researched to get an idea of our characters, and to make sure our understanding of the vocabularies were fine. Then, we talked about the dialogue a little so that we could decide our characters. We planned the setting to be at a funeral, and our names, age, body shape, height weight, skin color, eye color, hair length/color, facial features, how my character dress, background, relationships like family, friends, significant others, strangers, attitude, motivation, personality, job, and more on the Character Identikit document. This document helped me remember what I should include in my skit and create a clear character.
As we practiced our skit, we got stuck with the change of status during the scenes. We wanted to make a clear change in the status, but we weren’t sure what we can do so we asked our teacher. After we discussed it with our teacher, we decided to change the plot since it was confusing. We also changed the setting and characters too. I think this made the status change clearer and the plot clearer.
During the skit, we had to express our character by showing the status, attitude, motivation, physicality, vocal delivery, relationship groupings, and background. I found this challenging because we weren’t able to say them directly in our words. I think my partner and I did pretty well on showing the status change and not smiling when we weren’t supposed to, but I thought I could have improved on my vocal delivery and staying in character for the whole scene. I didn’t change my voice much, and was distracted sometimes. I could have improved the skit, by making a bigger difference with the attitude. For example if I am happy at first but gets annoyed after, I could change my tone and posture.
Overall, I have enjoyed this unit so far and learned about many things about ‘Being a Character’ such as stereotypes, status, and motivation. Before this unit, I didn’t know what stereotypes were and that how status and motivation can make a character but now I got to know more about it. It was interesting learning about how each traits can change the character but also challenging to express the traits without mentioning it.