During the past few months in technology class, we have been working on our theme parks on Minecraft. We worked in our groups and my group was Ashley, Pia, Emma.D, and me. There was a leader,creator, follower and peacemaker for each group and I was the follower. Our theme was Rich and Royal and named our group “Pretty in Pink”. To complete this project, we used the Design cycle which are Investigate, Design, Plan, Create, Evaluate.
For Investigate, we first discussed in groups about cooperation and collaboration and then researched about Minecraft. After that, we brainstormed ideas on what we could make in our theme park such as gift shops and restaurants and chose what we wanted to build by class discussion. The group leaders mainly talked and shared the group’s ideas so that it wasn’t too loud. I decided to build an ice-skating rink. After the discussion, we decided on our target audience and investigated what children would like, about our structures, sources we could use, and how our group could solve problems. The target audience for our theme park was 3-6 years old. We also worked on our Design Specifications.
I think our theme park met the design specification quite well because it was 90% pink and gold, had a good flow, and looked very girly. But I think we could work on putting the same amount of time because some people had more work to do. Another step of Investigate was to make product tests. We did this to see if we did a good job, and if it matched our aim. We did these tests after we finished building all the structures.
For Design, we planned our theme park and made 3 different designs. Here is our designs:
Then, we compared the 3 designs and discussed which design matches the best for the theme. We chose the last one ↑ and based our theme park on that design. We also discussed what we like about the design.
For Plan, we first planned our structures. We wrote the steps to build it, description, resources or materials needed, and time needed. Then, our peers tried the steps to see if they got what we wanted it to be. We got feedback and mine said that it was unclear where the crown shapes are and they didn’t make the ice-rink a crown shape which was supposed to so I knew that the shape was unclear too. I thought I could improve the steps by saying to make a crown-shape from the start instead of saying make 3 triangles on top of a square. Also, I could write the size to make it clear. After that, we worked on our timeline to decide what to work on each class. It helped us finish it in time and be organized.
We started creating our structures by making a border around our theme park so that it was clear where our structures should be built in. Then, we started building our own structures. On the first class creating, I worked on the base of my ice-rink. I used pink stained glass/ice. On the second class, I finished filling the ground with ice and most of the walls of the ice rink with Gold. On the third class, I finished my ice rink and helped my group because some had bigger structures. On the last day of creating, I slightly changed my design of my ice rink. I wrote P.I.P. and added some glass on the walls.
Here are some pictures of our theme park:
This is my ice rink I built:
And this is a station that Kent built that goes around the whole theme park↓
Here is the results for our product test:
We also asked 10 7th grade girls if they would want to go to test if it matches the target audience and got comments from them.
Q2: Does the attractions match the theme?
We tested this by asking 10 7th grade girls if the attractions matched our theme.
Q3: Is the space used wisely?
We tested this by seeing how much space there is between each attractions and if they are unbalanced by looking up from the sky.
Q4: Is it 60% pink/gold/purple?
We tested this by looking the colors we used for the attractions.
Q5 :Did everyone contribute what they said they would do in the timeline?
We tested this by looking at our theme park as a group.
I feel happy about being able to finish our theme park and also proud. The improvements I could make are that I should share more ideas in discussions, participate (at home) even though I’m absent when we compared the designs, break down what I am going to do into smaller steps for the timeline, and also for our final theme park, I thought I could make a path that goes through every attractions in our theme park. I thought the amount we each did wasn’t really balanced so I would fix that next time too. The Design cycle helped me a lot on this project because I knew what I had to do and made it easier for me. Also, it helped us make our theme park match our target audience. I think I cooperated and collaborated quite well during activities, but I could have a done better job by speaking up more. I think the role matched me too because I like listening to people more than leading people so I would choose this role next time too.
In conclusion, it was fun building things on Minecraft and I thought I wanted to do it again. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot of things. Next time, I want to challenge myself and build a structure that is more complicated. 🙂