How did the first ice-cream shop in Japan come to Yokohama? Explain why is Yokohama the home of many “Japan firsts”
Yokohama Research Question Presentation – Created with Haiku Deck, presentation software that inspires
(The presentation is the presentation for the question How did the first ice-cream shop in Japan come to Yokohama? Explain why is Yokohama the home of many “Japan firsts”)
In 1865 the first ice cream and the first beer in Japan were produced in Yokohama.
Fusazo Machida, a member of a delegation to the United States on the Kanrin-Maru,the first Japanese warship that crossed the Pacific in 1860, whom tasted the ice cream for the first time in his life and he was so astonished to the taste of it so he decided to open a ice cream shop in Yokohama.
In 1869 at Yokohama Bashamichi, Fusazo Machida opened a flavored ice shop and the shop name is Hyousuiten which is defined as shop for iced water in English, which he thought that it will be the most suitable shop name for what he is selling. He called the word ice cream“ice-crin”, the closest phonetics of what he believed he had heard. Then, His business increased because of the spreading of “ice-crin” in japan. In the early 1950’s, the synonym for “ice cream” came up when rectification to the correct pronunciation “ice cream” saturated as a result of the U.S. Occupation Forces after World War II.
The ice-cream costs 50 yen at that time, which is a monthly salary for a woman worker, which is also 8000 yen in nowday’s money. Mostly, only foreigners buy ice-cream at that time, but Japanese people start to enjoy it in the next year.
Ten years later, Mr. L. Stornebrink, who relates to Ice Making Plant, started his ice making plant in Yokohama. Fusazo Machida had natural ice delivered to him from Hakodate in Hokkaido for his hand stiring process of making ice cream.
At 1976, a sculpture named “Mother and child of the Sun” designed by Shin Hongo was constructed by the Kanagawa Chapter of Japan Ice Cream Association. The sculpture is opposite of the actual location of the first ice-cream shop and in front of the art building.