In the first two years of my high school, I demonstrated several ATL skills such as organization, collaboration and transfer skills in most of my classes and in the projects outside of the classes.
I think that the organization skill is one of the most important skill that we need in order to improve the studying as it relates to planning which is the first step of doing anything. By using this skill I was able to use my time more effectively and more wisely. I was able to use this skill during my personal project. The personal project was a project that was added additionally to our school work. This meant that if I was not organized I would fall behind in both my school work and in this project. Also, this project was a year long project meaning that if I do not organize my schedule well enough I would not have finished the project in time or rushed it during the end of the project to get it done. Managing my time was important during the last few months of this project as that was when we started writing our final essay which was complex. By writing down each of the small steps that I had to do it helped me to not get lost in what I had to do. The action plan helped me to finish my project in time without having to rush things.
|Tasks||Time required||Resources||Notes / Reflections
|Research about the cause of sleep deprivation||30 min||Do it in my research log||Aug. 31||✔|
|Research about the effects of sleep deprivation||30 min||Do it in my research log||Aug. 31||✔|
|Research about how to get good sleep||30 min||Do it in my research log||Sep.1||✔|
|Research about actual experiment done by experts||30 min||Do it in my research log||Sep.13||✔|
|Read a book about sleep deprivation and understand it||2 hours||Do it in my research log||Sep.13 but changed to Oct.3||✔|
|Milestone: Write annotated bibliography|
|Write annotated bibliography||20 min||Oct.5||✔|
|Hand in annotated bibliography||5||Upload it on managebac||Oct.6||✔|
|Milestone: Writing Success Criterion|
|Brainstorm success criteria||15 min||Finish before mentor meeting||Think about my final product and what it needs to be successful||Oct.7||✔|
|Write success criteria according to brainstorm||30 min||Finish before mentor meeting and get it checked||Think about my final product and what it needs to be successful||Oct.7||✔|
Also, during the personal project I had to organize the research that I did. This was important as if my notes were not organized and easy for me to understand later it would have taken me a long time to finish my final product. I first had to think about what why I learn the best in and how I can use that specific method to make my notes understandable to me. After doing some research on the ways to take notes I realized that I understood better if I the notes were written in full sentences or in bullet points. That is why I have written my personal projects notes in a specific method.
Effects of sleep deprivation 1
- Sleepiness causes accidents
It is proven that not enough amount of sleep can cause accidents and injuries. In a study workers who complained about lack of sleep had more amount of repeated work accidents.
- Sleep loss can make you stupid
Lack of sleep can interfere with cognitive processes which can mess the ability to think.While you are sleeping various sleep cycles play a role in consolidating memories in mind. This means that if you don’t get enough sleep, you won’t be able to remember what you learned and did throughout the day.
- Sleep deprivation can lead to serious health problems
- Heart attack
- Heart diseases
- Heart failure
- Irregular heartbeat
- High blood pressure
- Lack of sleep kills sex drives
A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism in 2002 says that most men with sleep apnea have low testosterone levels. Nearly half of the men who lack sleep have abnormally low level of testosterone levels during the night.
- Lack of sleep can lead to depression
In a 2007 study of 10,000 people, people with insomnia were 5 times more likely to develop depression compared to the ones without. In fact, insomnia is often one of the first symptoms of depression.
The second ATL skill that I improved throughout the two years of my high school is collaboration skill. Collaboration is an important skill when working in a group as it is important to listen to everyone’s ideas and come up with a conclusion that everyone is satisfied with. I was able to improve my collaboration skill in design and P.E. In design I had to work in a group of three and come up with a clothing brand. This assessment was about tackling a problem in the world with fashion. We first had to agree on what type of clothing we wanted to create and how we wanted to create it. We all had different fashion problems we wanted to tackle. Therefore, it was somewhat complex at the start to come up with a theme for our brand. To come up with a theme for the clothing brand we brainstormed three of the different fashion problems separately about how the problem can be tackled and found the similar tacking method for all three of the problems. This then became our theme for our clothing brand. In P.E I had to work in a group of three to come up with dance moves for a minute and a half to a song called “That’s what I like”. This was one of the hardest group work that I had to do as all three people in the group had a very different dance style which was all unique. To overcome this problem we came up with dance moves for the same part and combined the parts together to create something all three group members are satisfied with.
The last ATL skill that I improved is transfer skill. Transfer skill is important as it can help you use the skills that you already have in other contexts. I was able to use this skill during my science project. During the science project on finding which electricity the hotel should use, I was able to use the organizational skills that I learned during the personal project. This science project was an in-class assessment where we had to write an essay. We were allowed to bring one A4 paper of notes. Like I have explained before, during the project I was able to improve my note taking skills as I researched about the different types of note-taking methods and found a specific method that fit me. Therefore, I was able to transfer the organization skill and take notes in a way I would understand(my science notes down below).
Total power output of useful energy of all the lightbulbs in all rooms and restaurants(kW)
- Incandescent typeⅠ：60W, 800Lm, 200yen, 2000hrs
- Incandescent typeⅡ：200W, 3200Lm, 1000yen, 2000hrs
- LED typeⅠ：10W, 800Lm, 2000yen, 30000hrs
- LED typeⅡ：40W, 3200Lm, 6000yen, 30000hrs
Total power output of useful energy of all the lightbulbs in all rooms and restaurants
- – Incandescent typeⅠ: 0.06[kW]×200[room]×4[/room]=48[kW]
- – Incandescent typeⅡ: 0.2[kW]×2[restaurant]×50[/restaurant]=20[kW]
- Total power output of Incandescent = 68[kW]
- – LED typeⅠ：0.01[kW]×200[room]×4[/room]=8[kW]
- – LED typeⅡ：0.04[kW] ×2[restaurant]×50[/restaurant]=4[kW]
- Total power output of LED = 12[kW]
Energy consumption = Power output × time of use(kWh)
<Incandescent for a day>
- – Incandescent typeⅠ: 48[kW]×4[hour]=192[kWh]
- – Incandescent typeⅡ: 20[kW]×8[hour]=160[kWh]
- -> Energy consumption a day = 352[kWh]
<LED for a day>
- – Incandescent typeⅠ: 8[kW]×4[hour]=32[kWh]
- – Incandescent typeⅡ: 4[kW]×8[hour]=32[kWh]
- -> Energy consumption a day = 64[kWh]
- ・Total energy × Price per kWh = Total energy cost
<Energy cost for a day>
- – Incandescent: 352[kWh]×20[yen/kWh]=7040[yen]
- – LED: 64[kWh]×20[yen/kWh]=1280[yen]
Total energy cost + the cost of purchasing the light bulbs
<As for Incandescent>
- – Total energy cost: 7048[yen/day]×365[day] ×5[year]=12.862.600[yen] — ①
- – The cost of purchasing the light bulbs:
- 200[yen] ×200[room]×4[/room]×4[considering lifetime of bulb]=640,000[yen] — ②
- 1000[yen]×2[restaurant]×50[/restaurant]×8[considering lifetime of bulb] =800,000[yen] — ③
- ★Total energy cost + the cost of purchasing the light bulbs = ①+②+③ = 14,302,600
<As for LED>
- – Total energy cost: 1280[yen/day]×365[day] ×5[year]=2,336,000[yen] — ①
- – The cost of purchasing the light bulbs:
- 2000[yen] ×200[room]×4[/room]×1[considering lifetime of bulb]=160,000[yen] — ②
- 6000[yen]×2[restaurant]×50[/restaurant]×1[considering lifetime of bulb] =600,000[yen] — ③
- ★Total energy cost + the cost of purchasing the light bulbs = ①+②+③ = 3,096,000
Which light is better?
- Economical benefits- LED efficiency saves money over time, uses less electricity
- Lifespan: LED requires less repairing and replacement
- Environmental Benefit- Less electricity consumption leads to less pollution
- Uses less electricity to produce the same light- less greenhouse gas emission
- Contains no toxic elements.
- Fluorescent strip contain mercury
- Contaminate the environment(lands) when disposing
Throughout the two years of high school, I think that I was able to improve and demonstrate my academic achievements which allowed me to become a more efficient and smart learner.