Before this school winter break in humanities class, we have been finishing up a assignment on biomes that we are surrounded by. At first we chose a type of biome that you would want to research on and then, we used minecraft to build a house that belongs in that biome. For me, I chose to do the world of taiga and below are questions that are answered related to the biome of tiga.
Preparation Questions (can be bullet points)
1. Go to the Biome description for Minecraft. Choose a biome to build in (it must be a REAL physical environment)
2. Summarize in your own words, the minecraft description of your biome.
A= Taiga is a biome with wolves really often.
3. Find two other sources (Factmonster or School.eb might be good) and write down 10 facts about the biome.
Fires are very common in the taiga biome. These fires are necessary to help rid the area of old and sick trees.
4. Find 5-10 pictures of the biome. Insert them here.
5. Find 5-10 pictures of houses or homes in the biome. Insert them here.
6. List 3-5 advantages of living in this biome.
- We get to play around because there’s lot’s of playing spot
- Theres no school (advantages for kids)
- We get to play for 24 hours
7. List 3-5 disadvantages of living in this biome.
- Hard living where there is lot’s of bugs
- Smelly and stinky
- Extremely cold and temperature drops to -60 degrees in the winter
Important questions for research (should be full sentences / short paragraphs – this will be a blog post later):
1. Define the biome and its climate. What makes it different from other biomes? A= Taiga is a type biome characterized by coniferous forests created mostly of pines, spruces and larches. It has the lowest annual average temperature after tundra and has a very large temperature range between the seasons. But in the cold winter, the temperature stays the same and in the summer, it normally stays warm.
2. Describe the biome’s plant and animal life. How have the plants and animals adapted to fit the biome? A= The plants have adaptation to live and grow in different kind of places. Adaptations are special features that allow a plant or animal to live in a particular place or habitat. These adaptations might make it very difficult for the plant to survive in a different place. This explains why certain plants are found in one area, but not in another. For example, you wouldn’t see a cactus living in the Arctic. Nor would you see lots of really tall trees living in grasslands.
3. List some good examples of places where this biome is found on the Earth.
Taiga biomes exist mostly in the northern regions of the world.
7. Hokkaido, Japan
4. Describe – What real buildings are good examples of traditional life in this biome? Who built them and when? (add some pictures and sources if possible)
A= The traditional houses of Taiga are made out of woods and trees you can collect from the biome they are surrounded in. But there is not much people who live in this type of biome. The people who live in this biome make the houses and they make it with other people.
5. Explain – What features of the building show that the people adapted to live in that particular biome? A= The window really shows how the people adapted to live in Taiga. The windows are small sized because in the winter, it gets extremely cold and there are major predators that come near the house. They try to keep their houses as warm as possible inside and protect their house from wild animal predators to stay out close to the house.
6. (Extra credit /Early finishers:) How would you design a new house or other living space for living well in this biome? What special features, materials, etc. would it have, and why? A= I want to make my house with really strong materials so even if theres a natural disaster it won’t fall and break down. I also want to make with strong glass for the windows and make it safe everywhere so we don’t have to worry about safety.
7. Make a blueprint / chart / map of your design. Show the features that will help the house fit in the biome.
Try to research and copy the style of buildings that were made to fit the conditions in that biome. For example, traditional buildings in a desert might be painted light colors so they stay cooler, or have gardens in the middle of the house, etc. Buildings in a swamp or jungle might be off the ground, etc – try to find unique things like that to copy.
some traditional architecture styles that fit biomes:
In single-player creative mode (or on a LAN server with a partner in class), find an area with your biome and build one or more traditional buildings there. You should make at least one traditional house (but if you have time you could make a whole village or other structures).
Then early finishers / extra credit type people can design, make and explain their own new style of house or community for living in this biome.
Extremely early finishers could do another biome!
P.S. If you work together with a partner on a LAN server in class and then later need a copy of their world on your computer, it’s tricky but possible.
Take screenshots or make a screencast tour of your biome & buildings. Embed in a blog post with answers to the 5 questions above.
For this biome reasearch assignment, I think I had lots of building houses that fit in the taiga biome I chose and I learned how people kind of adapt to living in a clod place like taiga.
Assessment: Criterion C – Thinking Critically – you gather and judge information about your assigned biome and its characteristics through your questions, decide what features can be modeled successfully in the program, and show that you understand the main features of the biome through your model (more info coming soon)