“The Dreaming Tree” is a Brazilian folktale about bullying.
Major plot points:
- There once was a boy called Uaica who loved and lived with his grandfather. He was teased and bullied at school.
- Once day when he got teased a lot, he stumbled on a branch and entered the dreaming tree, an enormous tree where lots of animals were sleeping.
- Uaica fell asleep, and there, Sinaa, the Jaguar Man who had healing powers and eyes on the back of his head told tales and shared his secrets.
- For days Uaica came to this tree to learn a new secret, and his grandfather was starting to get worried, so Sinaa told Uaica to never return to this place, and if he did he might never leave again. Uaica took his advice deeply.
- When Uaica told his gradnfather about this tree, his grandfather fell asleep at the tree, and told Uaica to never tell anyone of this tree because it could harm their enviornment
- When people got sick in the village, Uaica used his powers that Sinaa had given him and healed the villagers.
- Sinaa told Uaica that he had done a good job obeying his command and that he had shown generosity to all, even his enemies.
- Sinaa told Uaica more secrets and Uaica learnt to make more things out of simple material.
- ONe day an evil woman and some citizens decided to steal some of Uaica’s treasures to obtain some power. BUt Uaica had the power to sense thigns and see beyond the ordinary so he knew they were there.
- Uaica got mad and vanished beneath a rock.
Moral: Be generous to all, even your enemies