Throughout have improved on my Spanish skills through multiple aspects. The most important elements that helped me to develop were the activities and exercises this year.
To start off, I am most proud of the success that I have achieved this year. This success includes my ability to speak and comprehends the Spanish language throughout written, listening, and reading exercises. I think that the conjugation helped me the most since it was very similar to that of the French language, which helped me to progress rapidly.
I will consider myself as a Spanish speaker. Although I may have started taking the Spanish program this year, I am now able to hold basic conversations in the language, and I am now able to understand things that are written and said in Spanish.
If I could restart this year again I would organize my notes a lot more clearly and spend the time a lot more carefully. When looking back at my notes, I have found that my handwriting was messy, and all of my understandings were on different pages.
I think that I have a lot of places to improve to be able to enter phase 3. Below is the list of things I should be able to do until next year:
- Conjugation: Although I am confident in terms of the past, present, and future tenses, I still have to improve on my imperative conjugations because I am a bit unsure. In addition, I have to work on special verbs (unusual verbs- I forgot what they were called rn oops)
- Expressions: Since I have learned a lot of new expressions this year, I would like to further apply these into my learning or when I am writing or speaking to allow people to understand what I am saying easily.
- Accents: I would like to have a better understanding of where my accents are, and how to emphasize certain accents to pronounce my words easily.
Thus, I had lots of fun in Spanish class with Ms.HIll this year. I have learned a lot of things, and I look forward to learning more next year.
In the third unit of Spanish this year, I think that I learned a lot on the topic of travel and vacations. I gained new knowledge of vocabulary, expressions, and verb conjugations.
1. What are 7 ways what you learned is like Harry Potter, Star Wars, or another movie of your choice?
My learning in Spanish is like the James Bond Movies.
- Learning Spanish vocabulary is as fast as James Bond’s Aston Martins
- I learn new expressions that are deadly like his guns
- I can conjugate verbs that are irregular like the mysteries in the movie
- The preterite is something that happened in the past like James Bond movies
- There are many Spanish speaking countries just like there are many James Bond movies
- Dialogue in Spanish is fast-paced like the movie
- Command terms must be conjugated differently just like how James Bond sees the world in a different way
3. How is what you have learned relevant to other classes/material you are learning?
The things that I have learned in Spanish are relevant to other subjects in multiple ways. For instance, I have learned about the preterite conjugation in Spanish, which can be applied to any subject in order to have correct grammar and inform the reader of the time and place context that the text is in. Furthermore, the fact that we learned about Spanish-speaking countries can be tied into the subject of I&S, to show or understand why certain countries speak French, especially because of colonization reasons.
7. Write down key words from your learning. Arrange them into a poem. (freestyle bars?)
Learning about travel and Spanish-speaking countries
This is all apart of my Spanish-learning studies
Preterite, irregular, and command verb conjugations
Should be all easy because they’re learning expectations
Hotel and travel plans, souvenirs and shopping
I’ll talk ’bout all of these in my new track that I’m dropping
Expresiones Del Pasado como la semana pasado
Signify the events that happened sometime ago
Frecuencia y Secuencia
Show how often something happened
Just like the times that you can hear me for thinkin’ I’m rappin’
9. Make a wordle or mind map of your learning.
I demonstrated research skills in the subject of science. In the class of science, I was able to successfully gather a series of information from multiple sources in order to provide accurate facts and figures for my assignments. In addition, I have learnt how to improved my use of keywords, which has helped me to narrow down search results and access relevant answers.
Social skills are abilities that I have demonstrated in most subjects. I believe that I have shown these skills most effectively in the classes of music and physical education (PE).
In music, my group and I have worked on constructing a song from scratch. I have consistently collaborated with my group members in order to create different roles for different instruments to play. I have discussed and actively engaged in conversations which has helped to improve and make changes to the final piece.
In PE, I have interacted with classmates in order to discuss strategies and tactics to help win games as a team. Furthermore, I have communicated with my teammates on the handball court to give advice and help. In addition, I have worked with my teammates to use the attacking/defensive principles of play in matches.
I have shown the communication skill in drama, english, and art.
In drama, I have communicated not just verbally but also throughout the use of facial expressions and body language. Moreover, I used the elements of drama in order to convey a simple message or a story in unit 1. In unit 2, I used my body stance and positioning to show my character for the Commedia d’ell arte.
For english, I have effectively shown communication skills throughout my writing samples. I have conveyed a story in my creative writing prompt and analysed the message and symbols in the novel “Skellig” by David Almond in unit 1.
I was able to communicate my personal interests and tastes in art throughout the construction of multiple pots. I created a coil pot and a pinch pot and designed them according to my interests and hobbies.
I showed a variety of thinking skills in the subjects of design and individuals and societies.
In design, I demonstrated both creative thinking skills and critical thinking skills. I used creative thinking skills when I was generating ideas for my animation, while I used critical thinking skills to analyse whether these ideas would be realistic and/or easy to make.
For Individuals & Societies, I used critical thinking skills in order to analyse and compare the development of different nations and the impacts of each nation during the data for development unit. I transferred my previous knowledge to make connections and bonds between information from unit 1 to unit 2.
In the subject of Spanish, I think that I am performing a good job of self-management. I have been able to stay on top of my homework and manage all of my papers in my binder. I have found the time to study new words and revise the phrases/expressions that I learnt in class.
However, I still need to improve on my self-management skills for math. Although I have been able to complete my homework on time, I still need to find time to revise and study my notes so that I can feel more confident during tests.
|Goal 1||For next semester, I would like to start being more productive and organised by prioritizing my homework. I will check the due date for each homework assignment and start on the assignment that has the closest due date, which will help me to finish the task on time.|
|Goal 2||I would like to manage my time and use it effectively next semester. I have not been achieving the grades that I have wanted this semester due to amounts of homework and assignments. By spending time on revising, practicing, and looking over my notes, I will be able to score better on my tests and assessments.|
|Goal 3||Finally, I would like to take neater notes. Since some of my notes were disorganised and untidy this semester, I was not able to read my own notes and lost key information as a result. Thus, I would like to focus on creating organised, neat notes for next semester in order to be successful when I revise my notes.|
During the expedition week in October, I faced a wide variety of challenges in an unfamiliar environment in Minkami, Gunma. This trip has undoubtedly expanded my comfort zone, as I experienced a range of activities, including canyoning, rafting, rock-climbing, geo-caching, mountain biking, as well as multiple team building activities. In this expedition, I got out of my comfort zone when I performed mountain biking, rock climbing, and canyoning.
Mountain biking got me out of my comfort zone, as I rode a bike with a different braking system as well as a different type of suspension system. In addition, I rode on steep courses in the mountains, as well as extreme hairpins, which was a new experience for me. Even though I had lots of fun and was able to manage the courses, the experience was challenging and indefinitely got me out of my comfort zone.
In terms of reading, I think that I am capable of understanding words that are unfamiliar by using context clues in order to make sense of the word or expression. I think that I am able to understand basic sentence and paragraph structures which helps me to comprehend the text effectively. However, I still make mistakes and errors when I am answering the reading comprehension questions. Therefore, I think that I should make sure that I reread the text twice in order to minimalise my mistakes.
My Goal for Reading: Reread the text and read carefully not to miss out on any important details or facts.
I think that my writing skills have the most areas of improvement. I am able to write with some flow and accuracy, however, I am not that confident in terms of verb conjugation and the spelling of some words. In addition, I think that I should use more terms and expressions from the unit in order to apply my learning in a piece of writing and familiarize the verb. Thus, in order to decrease the number of errors in my writing, I will make sure to create flashcards on Quizlet and try to memorize as much terms and expressions from the unit vocabulary in order to be able to use it in my writing.
My Goal for Writing: Use Quizlet more often to memorize key terms and expressions from the unit, as well learn the correct spelling and conjugation of some words.
In the area of speaking, I think that I am making a consistent progress, which is allowing me to speak with accuracy and fluency. This allows me to hold a conversation with others and understand the context. I think that I can work on using more expressions and vocabulary from the unit (again) in order to really comprehend what I am learning and apply it to my speaking skills.
My Goal for Speaking: Use more vocabulary and expressions from the unit by using the terms on Quizlet (mentioned previously)
Lastly, in terms of listening, I am confident in my listening skills, however I make mistakes from time to time when I do not understand a word and therefore try to spell the word and spell it with an error or errors. IN order to improve on my listening skills, I will listen or watch some Spanish videos in order to get familiar with the accents and flow of the SPanish language.
My Goal for Listening: Watch/Listen to Spanish videos in order to familiarize the SPanish accents and different vocabularies.
I have multiple goals for the subject of Spanish this year. [SMART Goals]
- Firstly, I would like to practice my conjugations for (most) verbs ending in -AR, -IR, and -ER. I will achieve this by learning and practicing the conjugations of 2 new verbs every day of the week for a month. This will help me to learn approximately 60 new verb conjugations every month. Since I have a Spanish dictionary at home, I will use this as a resource to help me choose my verbs that I will be studying. At the end of each month, I will write some sentences using the conjugated form of the verbs that I have learned.
- Furthermore, I want to practice my reading skills which will undoubtedly expand my vocabulary and show me multiple sentence structures. I plan on reading short excerpts or texts in Spanish once a week. I will either borrow these books from the library, browse some from home, or even read online PDFs or texts. I will keep a list of the books/texts that I have read each month. (Like a reading log)
- Lastly, I will practice my oral skills, increase my vocabulary, and improve on sentence fluency by speaking in Spanish with my friends or with my dad as he can speak Spanish fluently. Everyday I will have (or attempt) a conversation with my friends for 10 minutes. This will help me (and my friends) to share some vocabulary terms that we didn’t know and share new expressions.