Hello!! Future grade sixes. I am going to give advice for the water unit that you are going to learn in InS and SCIENCE. The first thing is to be positive with your partner and everybody. One of my best moments doing this project was how to clean water and researching. We learned lots of ways to clean water. If you find a website or a poster with a lot of words, don’t skip it read it and understand it. The mistake I did was adding vocab in my information. Make sure you do you share of work, don’t make your partner do all the work. This were all my advices for this water unit. HOPE you get a 0… I mean a 8! Remember STAY POSITIVE!!!
Here is my website check what I did : Click HERE
Here is the link to my slides: Click HERE
Here is a picture of my sequencing brain frame
For the Future grade 6’sMy Advice of writing an essay is to get the structure of the essay and when you are writing your essay you need to pick good evidence to support your point.
For Example: look at this paragraph I wrote.
Dahl uses repetition and uses hyperbole in his stories, which makes him a great author. Roald Dahl uses hyperbole to entertain readers.Hyperbole makes readers laugh because of the exaggeration.In Esio Trot “The distance between the balconies might not have been more than a few yards but to Mr Hoppy it seemed like a million miles away.”(p4). That implies, Mr Hoppy likes the neighbour below. In Fantastic Mr. Fox, Mr. Fox says “I can smell that man Bean a mile away. He stinks.”(p33). That suggests that Mr. Fox, does not like the man because of his stench. Roald Dahl uses repetition in his stories. Repetition in stories makes the expectation of what is happening have more tension. In Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. “Then the last three remaining creatures began stretching themselves all at the same time, each one elongating itself slowly upward, growing taller and taller, thinner and thinner.(p67).That suggests that the creature is stretching itself to something scary and the tension is building up. In James and the Giant Peach, the peach is growing bigger and bigger. “‘I see it,Spiker! It is speeding up!’ Bigger and bigger grew the peach, bigger and bigger and bigger.”(p30)We now understand how Roald Dahl uses his language techniques to entertain us and
we can learn and use his words in other writings.
Here are some Interesting facts about Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl Facts and Worksheets
- Audience: My book had some things a grade 1 will like to read and some that I really did not add in. I asked some grade one kids what book they liked and what was funny about that book. They said BANANA that word made them laugh, so I created a book about bananas and it is called King Kong and the Golden Banana touch. I kept in mind that I made the book for both genders. I did not ask them about what TV shows and what character they liked and I think I should have asked what character they liked so my main character could be what they said.
- Language + Story: My story suited the reading level because the grade one could read and understand the words and since Grade ones don’t like reading hard words I found some easier words. I also added some words that they can learn from and remember and at the back I put a life lesson word. A life lesson is useful knowledge that can be learned, example: “Our greatest weakness is giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always try just one more time.” Thomas Edison.
- Materials: I used different ranges of materials to make my book wonderful. Some of the materials I used were cotton balls, green felt, yellow felt, Glitter and pipe cleaners.I used cotton balls the cloud instead of colouring white as the cloud. I used the green felt and yellow felt for the grass and the yellow felt for the bananas. I used the glitter for the halo on the head to resemble a angle. I used pipe cleaners to bind the pages together and to separate the picture form the writing. I recommend to add materials in your book so it look more appealing.
- Design brief: My design was to have a nice colourful appealing book with what the grade ones will like. I made sure to add things like easy language, pictures and colour, funny thing things like that. I decided my book to be landscape because I thought landscape picture books looks more better that portrait in my opinion. The original myth I chose was King Midas and the golden touch, I chose because it had the same idea with the story that I was going to change it to. My idea was to have a king and when he touches something it turns to a golden banana. Here is a photo of my design brief.
- Reading with Grade 1: We went to read our book/myth to the grade 1 and we read the book to them, after I finished reading to them I asked them some questions like
- how did you like the book.
- Did you like the photos
- Would you like to do this. They were so amused when King Kong touched something and it turned to a golden banana. The liked the book and they said that I like how you put things to touch. I liked how the kids didn’t look at the window and ignored me, but the were interested in the book and I was proud of them for doing it.
Here is a link to my google slides King Kong and the Golden Touch slides. Click here
This is my Book Sketch and it is called King KONG AND THE GOLDEN TOUCH. The second picture is the making of my myths.