I’ve done well at transferring the final motif to the carving plate, because it is in near-perfect condition so far. And I’m proud of using the exact mathematic proportions for the pattern, because it made easier for me to get the pattern motif to interlock. My project isn’t void of weaknesses either. For example, for horses in my cultural interest I’d add mane-resembling spikes on their necks, in order to create a more impressive pattern. And for a personal interest, I could add horns to those horses, in order to indicate that my favorite show is ‘MLP:FiM’ which is about the unicorn student getting friends and solving problems with them.
As for the interlocking part, I don’t know yet how much accurate it is, but I hope it will turn out accurate enough. I’m sure that my interlocking creates new shapes, but I doubt it shall create a new pattern. Speaking of the color plan, I haven’t worked on it yet, but I’m sure that the top side’ negative space shall be white, middle side’s negative space shall be blue, and the bottom side’s negative space shall be red, while al the positive space shall be black. Those colors are unified, because together they create Russian flag, which is the symbol of the country I grew up in.
I’ve learned to manipulate values in order to create 3D-looking face. In the beginning of semester, I could only draw 2-dimensional self-portrait, without any knowledge of gradation or how to use blending stump. Now, I can draw realistic face with all the shadows and highlights included. Also, I’ve learned to collaborate and ask for feedback more often. For example, I asked Karthik on how could I improve my nose. And he gave some very valuable feedback. I wouldn’t have achieved drawing a 3D face without asking feedback like I did.
Next time, I’d change two things. First, I’ll draw my face a bit smaller, so I could have more space for the unicorn in the background, because unicorns are some of my favourite animals. Second, I’d draw myself with the soccer player haircut, because that is my most favourite haircut.
I’d describe myself as cooperative and committed. First, I was cooperative, because I’ve been asking for feedback, and giving it too. Second, I was committed, because I’ve been coming to Open Studio, and concentrated entirely on drawing and refining my self-portrait in class, even though I’ve been unsuccessful at times.
I’ve made a softcover book “Finist the Bright Falcon” for the entertainment purposes only. Even though I spent most of the time working on it, it took me lots of time to finish it. The strengths of this design are: it can’t be easily ripped apart by kids, its pages are easy to flip over, and it is bright and colourful. The weaknesses are: the book is already a bit tattered and it doesn’t have pop-ups. Despite that, I hope, my book will be positively received by my audience.
9th step: Back Cover
8th step: 3rd Illustration
7th step: 2nd Illustration
6th step: Moral of the story
5th step: End of the story
4th step: 1st Illustration
3rd step:Middle of the story
2nd step: Beginning of the story
1st step:The cover
DESIGN SPECIFICATION:Illustrations for the Myth Retelling Project
- Grade 1
- Must be fun.
- Must be age-appropriate
- Must have bright colors, must be original in design, pop-ups will be used(maybe).
- Paper, cardboard must be used.
- Must be easily read.
- Crayons, pencils, glue guns.
- 2-4 weeks.
- Must be safe
- To be read.
Test;I could test my book by:
- Proofreading the book.
- Make sure the Grade 1’s won’t get bored, while I(or someone else) read(s) the book.