Please note: Groups may be changed in December or at the beginning of 2014
- all students have changed ‘roles’ – but will keep their new role throughout this book
- this is Home Learning – students need to read one quarter of the book each week, to the group agreed upon page – and be ready to discuss/show their work to their group and myself on Mondays.
- Summarizer / Wordsmith / Illustrator and Discussion Director feedback templates are available on Google Docs. Please make a COPY each time you need a new document and put your own name on it.
- 4 weeks to read these books and 4 feedback discussions. Deadline Monday November 25th.
Your child has been placed in a group of 4 children to read and share 3 books over the coming month. One book on Louis Braille, one on Helen Keller and one on Walt Disney. Children will be negotiating in their groups what pages they need to read to by the time the group meets next.
More importantly, your child will be given various roles this year, such as Discussion Director/Summarizer/Wordsmith/Illustrator
This should be part of the HOMEWORK that your child negotiates this week. Depending on your child’s reading level, it may be necessary to help your child with reading, or discussing the book with your child, to make sure s/he has a good understanding.
To help the discussion session, your child will normally be asked to come up with 4 or 5 questions (OPEN questions that require discussion/opinion) to share with their group.
The four books we are starting off with are: note – reading one of the Braille books
1. Walt Disney – Young Movie Maker
2. Louis Braille – The Boy Who Invented Books for the Blind
3. Louis Braille – Out of Darkness
4. Helen Keller