Interesting articles to read
Articles for Parents
Here are some interesting articles on schools/education. If interested, please follow the links below to some interesting articles on various themes:
Wasting Minds – by Ronald Wolk
The art of listening – by Henning Mankell (New York Times Dec 13, 2011)
What schools and parents should strive for, instead, is what he referred to as a “flow experience,” where kids are highly focused, making a high level of effort, while also experiencing high enjoyment coupled with low stress.
7 misconceptions about how students learn – Will Rogers once said, “It isn’t what people don’t know that hurts them. It’s what they do know that just ain’t so.” That’s the introduction to a list of seven myths about learning on the Web site of the Independent Curriculum Group
I would especially like to thank Mr. Mural in Grade 4 for giving me permission to share the following articles from his 4M class blog. (if you weren’t lucky enough to have Mr. Mural as a class teacher last year.)
3. Healthy Snacks in School- “Schools Dangle Carrot Snacks, But It’s a Tough Sale”
4. “Put Your Hand Down“- A school that has banned hand-raising
5. Tutoring – “The Pressure Is On”
6. Too Much TV + Video Games for Kids = Shorter Attention Span
7. “Does Not Compute” – A school in America that says “No” to computers (but not high tuition:)
8. Banning Sodas in Schools has a Limited Impact
9. Is Banning Soccer Balls at Recess going too far? One school doesn’t think so.
10. Is Your Child’s Backpack Too Heavy?
11. All Your Child Wants for Christmas is an iPad… or an iPod… or an iPhone
12. Junk Food = Lower IQ for Children
ALSO, for parents who are new to Japan and require information about earthquake and disaster preparedness, please click here.