MIDDLE & HIGH SCHOOL
- Rules of the Canteen
Because people are not meeting the expectations of the canteen and Dragon Dining, the cafeteria will be closed & locked at 4:30PM. If the Dragon Dining staff asks you to leave the canteen after school, please do so immediately.
As a reminder, here are the rules of the Canteen.
Dragon Dining is exclusively at Yokohama International School; we are not a big company.
Our small team works hard to source, prepare, cook and serve healthy sustainable lunches and snack items for the students at YIS.
In order to continue to deliver this level of service at YIS the rules below need to be followed.
Purchasing food in the cafeteria:
- Do not take food without paying.
- Pay the appropriate price for all food taken from Dragon Dining.
- Students must not share lunches purchased from Dragon Dining.
- Students must not use another person’s lunch account.
- Take only what you are intending to eat…don’t waste the food.
- Prepaid accounts must maintain a positive balance.
- Don’t touch items on sale that you aren’t going to buy.
- Use tongs and napkins when taking snack items.
Behaviour expectations in the cafeteria:
- Responsible and orderly behaviour is expected at all times.
- Students shall not save places in line, cut in line, or intimidate their way into line for food service.
- Follow instructions of the cafeteria staff.
- Show proper respect toward cafeteria staff.
- Take your time and enjoy the food.
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Push your chair back under the table after use.
- Don’t leave a mess.
- Take your dirty dishes to the dishwashing area.
- Separate trash accordingly.
- Report spills to cafeteria staff immediately.
- Silent Study Room
The silent study room in the library will be closed today for exams. Please be respectful as you move through the library space today. (Ms. Katy)
- HS & MS Book of the Day
On May 29th, Taran Matharu, author of the 2018 Sakura Medal winning Novel The Novice, will visit YIS to speak with students who have read his novel and students interested in creative writing. Stop by the library today to check out a copy of his book.
When blacksmith apprentice Fletcher discovers he has the ability to summon demons, he travels to Adept Military Academy where he must decide where his loyalties lie. The fate of an empire is in his hands. #yislearning #hsbookoftheday #msbookoftheday (Ms. Katy)
- Mental Health Week
Good Morning! This is MEHC (Mental and Emotional Health Club), and we would like to tell everyone that this week is mental health week! Hopefully, everybody had a great weekend. For this whole week, there will be a daily fact about mental/emotional health to spread awareness. Today’s daily fact about mental health is that: mental illnesses can affect people of any age, race, religion, or income. It is a medical condition that disrupts a person’s thinking, feeling, mood, and ability to relate to others and daily functioning. (MEHC)
- Cambodian Clothing for Sale! (Repeat)
Cambodian Pants ¥1500
Cambodian Shorts ¥1000
Women’s only, mostly small sizes, various patterns/colours available.
Stop by M301 on Monday or Tuesday (May 14/15) during morning break to shop. All items were purchased in Cambodia and funds raised will go to HOPE Cambodia to construct a water well for families in rural Pursat. (Ms. Urquhart)
- Middle/High School Food Fair Poster competition (Repeat)
This year we are inviting Middle and High School students to design the poster we use to advertise Food Fair.
The poster must:
-Include the phrase “YIS Food Fair 2018”
-Be A4 portrait with solid background (white if hand-drawn)
-Be digital (PSD photoshop, 300 dpi) or hand-drawn.
-Use the entire sheet as background.
-Have no fine details or too many small elements.
Hand in designs to Mr Reed by Monday 4th June. The winning designer will receive a 2000 Yen gift card. (Mrs. Davies)
HIGH SCHOOL ONLY
- Track and Field
Thank you and Congratulations to William Hannah, Kento Riendeau, and Shin Yano for their contributions with helping the MS track team this year as well as improving their own personal records.
William Hannah received a 6th place ribbon in the High Jump at HS Finals with a jump of 1.70 meters. William also finished in the top 10 for the 3200 with a time of: 11:29.20.
Kento and Shin marked Personal records in the last two meets of the season, with Kento reaching a time of 13.28 in the 100m and Shin reaching a time of 25.91 in the 200m.
Congratulations! (Track and Field Coaches)
- HS Athletics/Activities
Season 3 Uniform Returns – Please make sure you return your uniform to the PE Office if you have not done so already. (Mr. Tananone)
- HS Volleyball Open Gym
– Open Gym after schools for Boys and Girls Volleyball continues today, Monday the 14th of May after school, and is open to all HS boys and girls interested in playing. You do not have to have been on one of the teams last year to partake. Open Gym for volleyball will meet with Mrs. Hill on Mondays and Wednesdays. (Mr. Tananone)
- Survey – Gr. 10 Students only (Repeat)
I am working on a project in design class that requires the opinions of the students in the tenth grade. Please answer this survey on happiness. (George H)