How is the history of metal use connected to the chemistry of metals?

Use the following timeline of metal use to consider your answer to this question.

Post your idea/answer in the comments. Once approved, it will appear.

Infographic showing the history of metal discovery Infographic showing the history of metal discovery from Makin – Metal & Copper Powder Suppliers

17 Comments on How is the history of metal use connected to the chemistry of metals?

1. 19nagtegaalt
    September 2, 2014 at 6:00 pm (3 years ago)

the more you know about the chemistry of metals the more complicated metals/metalloids you can make. And the more applications you can think of.

2. Noelelelel
    September 2, 2014 at 8:14 pm (3 years ago)

Gold was already used 6000 BC?! That’s when Japanese people were building tiny huts! That is so old!

3. garrick
    September 2, 2014 at 8:16 pm (3 years ago)

I had no idea that gold was that old. Was mesolithic the first metal weapon. Have we found all the metals on earth? If not which one is next? I wonder what other mixes we can make and what happens if we mix all the metals together?

4. Dan
    September 2, 2014 at 8:43 pm (3 years ago)

The history of metal is connected to the chemistry of metals because metals were & are used for varying situations, using chemistry.

5. Ayana
    September 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm (3 years ago)

I found it interesting that gold was made as jewelry since 6000bc. I think gold was used as jewelry because it is a non toxic metal even though it is dense and heavy.

6. Garrick
    September 2, 2014 at 10:07 pm (3 years ago)

I think that they are connected because you need chemicals to extract some metals such as aluminium. Also some metals need chemicals to be used.

7. Ayano
    September 2, 2014 at 10:43 pm (3 years ago)

I found out that metal was known from a long time ago, and I think there are more metals that are still unknown. I think metals are important because we use it a lot, I think it’s a limited resource, so I think we should use it wisely. I never knew that gold was found first a long time ago. I think we should also think about safety while doing this because it can be quite unsafe because right now, some people are suffering because of the nuclear in Japan. If there were no metals in our world, I think our lives will be very hard.

8. Satono
    September 2, 2014 at 10:58 pm (3 years ago)

I think in our lives “METAL” is important because most of the thing we use in these days are made out of metals. If we don’t have metals it is hard to live and maybe there will be no coins and computers and rings etc… exists in our world. Also there will be no factory because machine is made out of metals too.

9. Kaz
    September 3, 2014 at 12:32 am (3 years ago)

Inside this timeline there were many familiar events and people, but most of them came in the bottom part of the chart.From this I thought that many types of metal were found a lot before Abraham Lincoln was born or the first light bulb was tested.Also the fact that people in the stone age found gold is very surprising because their weren’t any machines we use now so they had to dig with their own hands.

10. Sophie
    September 3, 2014 at 5:20 pm (3 years ago)

I think it’s very interesting how long we have known metals. It is good that we have actually found out about metals because it’s something we use a lot in things around us. If we didn’t have metals we actually wouldn’t have anything….

11. HyeWon
    September 3, 2014 at 7:36 pm (3 years ago)

I think history of metal is changed to following to chemical compound metal technology also human’s demand. Most recent developed metals are getting powerful and useful.

• Elizabeth Harrison
      September 3, 2014 at 9:44 pm (3 years ago)

Yes, I agree that technology is increasing our access to more metals, but do you (anyone in the class) think metals are more useful or are we inventing new ways to use them because we now have them?

12. 19fuj
    September 3, 2014 at 8:09 pm (3 years ago)

I was really surprised for the history of some metals, especially gold. Metals are one of our important material for our life and we would not have a safe and easier life without these materials being found. It has a connection to the chemistry of metal because we have to identify all the information of a particular metal and research weather what metal is strong and weak. and through out history lessons taught for the next generations to make a stronger, tougher and easier to produce metals.

13. 19antunovicv
    September 4, 2014 at 6:13 pm (3 years ago)

I think that the history of metal use is connected to the chemistry because as we go through this timeline more and more metals are discovered by being made (or separated from the ore) other than being naturally found in the earth. This means that chemicals are being used to extract the metals and form alloys.

14. Eileen
    September 4, 2014 at 8:23 pm (3 years ago)

This timeline has showed me informations about metals that I never knew before. I think that there is a connection between the history of metal use and the chemistry of metals because the history of metals gives us information of when the metals were made and what they were used for, but in chemistry, it gives you more than that. And to answer your question, Ms.Harrison, I think people are inventing new ways to use the metal more useful then it already is.

15. 19kanedas
    September 4, 2014 at 8:33 pm (3 years ago)

I think metal is one of the most important thing in our life. It has been used from 6000 BC. (GOLD :D) Since metals have been used from 6000 BC I think us human have used so much metal and gold already that we can’t even count. It was interesting to see the history of metal because it caused me to think about things that does’t use metal that is very useful. There aren’t many if you think deeply. So I think the usage and the need of metal is going up. Since it is, people might create more metal that can be very useful. For example steel has been created to make construction and other things easier.

16. Hana
    September 4, 2014 at 9:31 pm (3 years ago)

Metals take up a huge part of our life and without metals we probably wouldn’t be able to do loads of things that we can do know. Without metals we also wouldn’t be living as luxuriously as we are living now. I think the history of metals connects to the chemistry of metal because without knowing some of the things we know about metals now we wouldn’t be able to learn even more about metals therefore limiting ourselves and what we can do. Also because we know the history of metal we can learn what is dangerous to do with metals and how we can improve our research and experiments with metals.