WHOLE GRADE CENTRAL IDEA
Earlier in the unit, we developed central ideas related to our inquiry choices in small groups.
This week Ms Catasti came to help us to co-create a central idea for the whole grade.
The process we used:
Step 1 – Individual classes developed ideas for a central idea
Step 2 – As we read them aloud we listening for key words –
- 5H – impact, action, community – local / global
- 5W – change, difference, world
- 5S – future, sustainable, together
Step 3 – Do these words stand out on their own and make sense? How and why is each word important to our message? Some of the keywords might not fit anymore!
Step 4 – Can we remove any of the keywords? This was interesting as some kids were passionate about certain words. They started to consider the understanding of the audience.
Step 5 – If we all our ideas together, what would the CI look like.
Step 6 – Students make suggestions for CI based on keywords.
A central idea is a message that’s really important to human beings – everyone should be able to access it regardless of culture, gender, age etc
It’s not about getting as many words in as possible…
It is about how these words are important and why we need to tell them to people!
- Together we can make a sustainable impact on our community, locally and globally.
- Responsible action makes a change to our community
- Individually we can make a small difference, but together we can make a big difference and impact people’s lives
- People work together to build a sustainable future for our community
- Together our responsible actions have a big impact on the local and global community
- Community’s action can change the future together responsibly
- Making an impact on the local and global community can change people’s lives and make a sustainable future
- Together as a community we can take action and change our ways in order to create a sustainable future
AND THE FINAL OUTCOME… well, you might just have to wait for the night!