Working Individually – Formative Assignment
Compose an 8 measure rhythm composition which is based on a one-measure rhythmic motif. Then develop your rhythmic ideas from your one measure motif by altering OR modifying the rhythm.
*Notate your rhythm ideas on a piece of paper so you have it as a reference.
- Create a one-measure rhythm motif/idea.
- Next, create a 4 measure phrase that starts with your one measure motif in measure one. Then repeat it again in either the 2nd or 3rd measure. Now you have two measures completed.
- In the 4th measure create a new rhythmic idea for the first 3 beats. Put a quarter note rest on the 4th beat which will act as an ending for the phrase.
- Next, in the last open measure create another rhythmic phrase that is complementary to your other 3 measures of rhythms.
- This four measure phrase will act as a question statement.
- Now make another four measure phrase lasting from measures 5-8 that will act as an answer to your first four measure question.
- Start by slightly changing your original motif from the first 4 measures by modifying/changing at least two of the beats while keeping two beats the same. Put this one measure rhythm in measure 5.
- Repeat your new modified rhythm again in measure 6 or 7.
- In measure 8 create a new rhythmic idea for the first 3 beats. Put a quarter note rest on the 4th beat which will act as an ending for the phrase.
- Next, in the last open measure (bar 6 or 7, whichever is open) create another rhythmic phrase that is complementary to your other 3 measures of rhythms.
- YOU NOW HAVE AN 8 MEASURE RHYTHM PHRASE
*CREATE A VIDEO OF YOU CLAPPING YOUR 8 MEASURE RHYTHM PHRASE and post it on the Practice Journal Spreadsheet