THE BLUES PRACTICE JOURNAL
1. Choose one new Warm-up Exercise every week
- PLEASE USE THE FOLLOWING BLUES SCALES FOR YOUR PRACTICE JOURNAL WARMUP – make sure you use the correct fingerings
2. Choose one new Short Melody or Etude every week
3. PERFORM YOU PRACTICING Brahms Lullaby
4. INCLUDE YOUR IN DEPTH REFLECTION ON PROGRESS AND PROCESS
5. INCLUDE YOUR NEW GOAL FOR THE WEEK
Criterion A- Knowledge and Understanding, Criterion B – Developing Skills, Criterion C- Thinking, Criterion D – Responding
ATL Skills: Organization, Communication, Thinking
EACH VIDEO will need to include:
- Your current Goal until next video
- Your warmup exercise –
- Your performance of your song that relates to your goal
- Your in depth Reflection which relates to your goal and your process. Leading Questions to Answer
1. How did the warmup exercises help you improve your playing?
2. How does sight reading of short melodies help you improve your playing?
3. How does Goal setting help you?
4. How does Reflection help you?
5. How does regular practice help you improve your playing?
6. Which of the above can you improve on and how will you do that in the second semester?
- SET NEW GOAL
- You will be working on Brahms Lullaby , you will learn to play one of the parts for your journal.
- Your journal will be used to demonstrate your rehearsal process and progress and is Graded as a Summative Assessment using all four assessment criterion
- In each video you should start with performing a given major scale ( GO HERE for all Major key fingerings for both hands ) and one other warm-up exercise that will be used to improve your technique.
- Then perform your Etude (short piece) – LINKS ABOVE
- Criterion A – Knowledge and Understanding – Your performance will be graded on your ability to read music notation correctly, perform in tempo, and use appropriate expression
- Criterion B – Skills – Then perform your chosen Performance Piece
- Criterion C – Thinking – Set Goals for the week that are both achievable and challenging
- Criterion D – Responding – Reflect on your progress. This needs to be an in depth reflection that clearly identifies how the warm-up exercises, Etudes, scales help to develop skills that will help you perform better. It should also include your personal reflection on how you are improving and the setting of new goals
- Your videos should demonstrate how you break down your learning into specific components and how you keep adjusting your rehearsal process to improve problem areas
- You will need to create weekly videos which demonstrate your weekly progress while learning your performance piece
- If you do not post weekly videos you will not be able to score a 7/8
- You will need to share these videos by copying the URL of each video into the Practice Journal Spreadsheet