Welcome to Grade 7 Music!
TEACHER: Mr. Johnston
Things to bring to every class:
– charged computer
– headphones or earbuds
– blue book supplied by teacher
– pencil, ruler, and eraser
– your well rested brain
– your creativity
EQUIPMENT SIGN OUT FORM
- Everyone sit in a circle and start a Ostinato Beat with foot stomps and hand claps. Everyone keeps rhythm
- Teacher starts by rapping: My name is Mr. Johnston, Who are YOU?
- Then next students
FIRST UNIT – MELODY
REVIEW: Reading Music Notation
Statement of Inquiry:
In order for an artistic interpretation of a piece of music to be realized, a musician needs to express thoughts and emotion using musical elements.
Here are some of the questions we will be answering in this unit. You may already be able to answer some of them.
- What is a melody?
- How does a melody move?
- What do I need to know about my instrument in order to play a melody?
- How do I learn a melody?
- What are the steps needed to practice my melody?
- How is a melody created?
- What are some of the techniques used to create a melody?
- Is melody the most important part of a song? Does music need a melody to be considered music?
PERFORM A MELODY – working with your partner learn to perform the following melody
HOMEWORK for next week – Create a Cover Page for your blue book for Homework. It should include 3 things:
- Your first and last name
- The Class name. Example: Grade 7 Music
- Music Pictures that best exemplify you as a musician. Example: – A picture of the instrument you play. A picture of your favorite musician. A picture of you playing an instrument. A picture of a music score of your song.
Homework and assignment due dates as well as grades and feedback will be posted on Veracross
Play Youtube of 10 Most Famous Melodies in background while students work on their cover
Any support documents will be available on this blog YISMusic.
It is expected that all homework be completed for each class and assignments will be handed in on time.
SHOW VERACROSS ON SCREEN for NEW STUDENTS
USING COMPUTERS: Give login information to YISMusic