WORKING INDIVIDUALLY OR IN PAIRS
Create an electronic magazine article (one which includes live links to audio examples) which introduces:
A Style of Blues and a Musician that is famous for playing that style, as well as your personal perspective on how the music sounds to you.
Criterion A – Knowledge and Understanding – demonstrate understanding of what the Blues is and where and when it developed
Criterion C – Creativity – use of media format to create interest
Criterion D – Reflecting – personal listening reflection of Blues music
ATL Skills – Communication, Organization
To receive the highest marks 7/8, your magazine article should:
- A CRITERIA – KNOWLEDGE – 8 POINTS Research and define the music style “the blues’ including where it started and by whom?
- List and explain several of the unique characteristics of the Blues (12 bar chord progression, scale, etc)
- Introduce a specific blues artist and choose one song they perform to introduce to the reader by including interesting background information on the artist and song (who they are, when/where they are from, famous songs they composed or performed, instruments they performed)
- Identify the style of blues your song uses (Chicago, Memphis, etc). (this will be the style of blues your project will introduce)
- Introduce that style of blues to the reader by including your substantial in depth knowledge of key characteristics of the blues style (how is it similar or different to the original early blues, where did this style originate, interesting facts, components, instruments common to the style, etc). Example: If you have chosen Delta Blues you will need to define what “Delta Blues” is. How is it different from other blues styles? What characteristics make Delta Blues a separate and specific style? Any specific instruments, tempos, form etc?
- include a variety of other INTERESTING FACTS about the artist and style of the blues your are presenting
- DO NOT COPY AND PASTE – this is called PLAGIARISM – put things in your own words and use quotes when you want to include words from another source
- Include a BIBLIOGRAPHY or SOURCES which includes links at least 5 links to the websites used to research your presentation NONE OF WHICH are Wikipedia – NO, NO, NO to Wikipedia. Don’t use it!
- BEFORE HANDING IN review the overview to make sure you have included ALL OF THE REQUESTED CONTENT!
- HAND IN FOR ASSESSMENT by attaching your finished magazine article to an email and send it to Mr. Johnston at email@example.com for final assessment
- C – CRITERIA – 8 POINTS BE CREATIVE with the magazine format and create visual interest for the reader by using the magazine article format in a creative way including pictures
- D- CRITERIA – 8 POINTS Give your view in a LISTENING REFLECTION. LISTEN INDIVIDUALLY (each person does their own reflection) to CLEARLY DESCRIBE how the music sounds to you by listening and comparing/contrasting the blues style your artists plays to other styles of blues and also including your own perspective of what the music sounds like to you (what instruments are playing, rhythm, tempo, feeling, etc.)
Use the instructions below to help you get started.
GETTING STARTED – Steps
LISTEN to a VARIETY of blues styles and choose the one that interests you the most for your magazine article.
Step One: Listen to some early Blues artists (The link below is a comprehensive list so look for the early blues artists). You could start with Bessie Smith, Leadbelly, Son House, Robert Johnston, Etta James, Ma Rainey, Billie Holiday, Koko Taylor or any other early artist.
Step Two: Listen to some modern contemporary Blues artists such as Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Stevie Ray Vaughan or BB King and find background information on them.
Step Three: Now that you have listened to both an early and modern blues music, choose your one favorite artist to create a magazine article which introduces that artist and the style of blues they are known for to the reader.
Start by listening to more examples of your artists music that you can find online. Identify the style of Blues they perform.
Include some interesting facts about your Blues artist and/or style of Blues they play.
Also find some pictures and audio examples that create interest for your article.
Step Four: Introduce the style of Blues music you have chosen and include at least 3 specific characteristics of that style of Blues music.
Step Five: Create an electronic magazine article (with links to audio and video examples) that includes ALL THE REQUESTED MATERIAL in the TSC above.
- YIS Library – Britannica Online
- Information on some of the highest regarded and most famous blues singers of all time.
- Top 10 Old time Blues artists
- 30 plus Contemporary Blues artists
- Contemporary Blues artists
- 25 New Blues artists your should hear