In small groups:
Define Melody – What characteristics does it need to have to be considered a melody?
Name That Tune
- How does a melody move?
- Can you SING this Melody without playing it on the piano?
- Can you clap the rhythm?
- What kind of notes are being used?
- What kind of rests are being used?
- What do the dots after the quart notes mean?
- What does the time signature tell us?
Play it on the piano.
Sing the melody below without playing it on the piano. To help you sing it correctly visually look to see where the leaps occur. Follow the up and down movement with your voices.
Do you recognize it?