WORKING INDIVIDUALLY OR IN PAIRS
Create an Electronic Magazine Article (include live links to audio examples and YouTubes) which introduces:
One of the styles of Blues and a Musician that is famous for playing that style, as well as your Personal Reflection (each person should create their own reflection even if they are creating their article with a partner) on how the music sounds to you.
GETTING STARTED – Steps
LISTEN to a VARIETY of blues songs from both Early Blues and Modern Blues Below.
Choose one song that interests you the most. You will use this song and style for your magazine article.
Step One: Listen to some early Blues artists (The link below is a comprehensive list so look for the early blues artists). You could start with Bessie Smith, Leadbelly, Son House, Robert Johnston, Etta James, Ma Rainey, Billie Holiday, Koko Taylor or any other early artist.
Step Two: Listen to some modern contemporary Blues artists such as Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Stevie Ray Vaughan or BB King and find background information on them.
Step Three: Now that you have listened to both an early and modern blues music, choose your one favorite artist to create a magazine article which introduces that artist and the style of blues they are known for to the reader.
Start by listening to more examples of your artists music that you can find online. Identify the style of Blues they perform.
Include some interesting facts about your Blues artist and/or style of Blues they play.
Also find some pictures and audio examples that create interest for your article.
Step Four: Introduce the style of Blues music you have chosen and include at least 3 specific characteristics of that style of Blues music.
Step Five: Create an electronic magazine article (with links to audio and video examples) that includes ALL THE REQUESTED MATERIAL in the TSC above.
Criterion A – Knowledge and Understanding – demonstrate an understanding of what the Blues is and where and when it developed
Criterion C – Creativity – use of media format to create interest
Criterion D – Reflecting – a personal listening reflection of Blues music
ATL Skills – Communication, Organization
To receive the highest marks 7/8, your magazine article should:
- A CRITERIA – KNOWLEDGE – 8 POINTS Research and define where and when “the blues’ started and by whom.
- List and explain THESE 6 unique characteristics of the Blues (12 bar chord progression, scale, Blue notes, instruments, improvisation, syncopation)
- Introduce a specific blues artist from the listening files and choose one song they perform to introduce to the reader to the specific blues form/style by including interesting background information on the artist, song and style.
- Identify the style of blues your chosen song represents (Classic, Chicago, Memphis, Modern etc). This will be the style of blues your project will introduce.
- Include a LINK to your artist’s song
- Introduce that style of blues to the reader by including your substantial in-depth knowledge of key characteristics of the blues style. Where did this style originate? What are some interesting facts about the style? What are some of its components? Are there specific instruments common to the style? How is it different from other blues styles? What characteristics make it a separate and specific style?
- Include a variety of other INTERESTING FACTS about the artist and style of the blues you are presenting.
- You can also include more links for audio files/videos you find important
- DO NOT COPY AND PASTE – this is called PLAGIARISM – put things in your own words and use quotes when you want to include words from another source
- Include a BIBLIOGRAPHY or SOURCES which includes links at least 5 links to the websites used to research your presentation NONE OF WHICH are Wikipedia – NO, NO, NO to Wikipedia. Don’t use it!
- BEFORE HANDING IN review your work to make sure you have included ALL OF THE REQUESTED CONTENT!
- HAND IN FOR SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT by attaching your finished magazine article to an email and send it to Mr. Johnston at email@example.com for final assessment
- C – CRITERIA – 8 POINTS BE CREATIVE with the magazine format and create visual interest for the reader by using the magazine article format in a creative way including pictures
- D- CRITERIA – 8 POINTS Give your view in a LISTENING REFLECTION. LISTEN INDIVIDUALLY (each person does their own reflection) to CLEARLY DESCRIBE how the music sounds to you by listening and comparing/contrasting the blues style your artists plays to other styles of blues and also including your own perspective of what the music sounds like to you (what instruments are playing, rhythm, tempo, feeling, etc.)
- YIS Library – Britannica Online
- Information on some of the highest regarded and most famous blues singers of all time.
- Top 10 Old time Blues artists
- 30 plus Contemporary Blues artists
- Contemporary Blues artists
- 25 New Blues artists your should hear