HOW MANY TYPES OF MUSIC CAN YOU IDENTIFY?
SMALL GROUP DISCUSSION:
- Work in teams of up to 4 people. List as many genres of music can you name from each of these 6 areas: Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Russia/Slavic and Asia? Create a table in a google.doc and share it with your group member as well as Mr. Johnston. You can use your computer to do some quick research into music genres if you would like.
GROUP or CLASS DISCUSSION
- Out of all the different types of music in our world which were the most influential and important to the growth of music on earth? Mark the ones you think are the most important to include which best represent the music man kind has produced.
NASA is sending a time capsule called ‘Voyager‘ up into space that will represent life on earth. Part of it will be a music player that plays 10 pieces of music which will best represent the human race.
YOUR GOAL is to choose the 10 pieces of music.
Still working in your groups.
Your top ten pieces of music should:
- To make sure we represent as much of the world as possible please choose one piece from each part of the world that best represents the music that is known for that area: Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Russia/Slavic and Asia
- You should have a reason for choosing each piece of music. What does it have that represents the planets musical background and diversity?
- At least one of your choices needs to be a Classical Composition
- Find a YouTube of each piece of music and put the link on the google.doc, state where it is from and then, your reason for choosing it.