14: The People’s Republic of China (1949–2005)
This section focuses on China under the rule of the Chinese Communist Party, and the great changes as the Communist Party under Chairman Mao Zedong (Mao Tse-tung) extended its rule and Mao’s vision of a socialist state. The focus of this section is on the impact of domestic political, social and economic policies. It also examines modernization of China’s economy since Mao’s death.
- Consolidation of the communist state (1949–1961) under Mao Zedong; key policies; land reforms; rectification campaigns; Hundred Flowers campaign (1956)
- Transition to socialism; successes and failures in economic developments (1949–1961); First Five-Year Plan; Great Leap Forward; Second Five-Year Pla
VERY VERY IMPORTANT LINK!!
MAKE A COPY AND BOOKMARK or MAKE YOUR HOMEPAGE
Project 1(this is a link and you should make a copy)
- Globalization Product Placement
We have been discussing how companies adapt their products to better fit different markets, considering local culture, tastes and laws.
- Choose one cultural item or trait that you know well and are interested in. This could be a dance, a style of music, a sport, a food item, a piece of clothing etc. The cultural item can come from any country, but it should probably be one that you are familiar with.
- Choose one country you would want to promote the item to. It should be a country with a different culture, background, climate, etc.
- This is your turn in sheet. As soon as you’ve chosen your product, add it here.
- Write a one-paragraph background. How did the the thing originate initially? How is it sold today? How is it practiced/worn/performed/etc in the country of origin?
- Include 5 points about the targeted culture, focusing specifically on the traits your product will adapt to.
- Adapt the product for the new country. Consider ways that you have to adapt it for the new culture.
- Create a one page ad/poster or 30 second commercial for the adapted product.
Monday Feb 27th
- Paper 3 test
- 1 essay in 50 minutes
- Reasons for, and impact of, the rise of militarism and extreme nationalism: increasing influence of the army in politics; political coups and assassinations
- Invasions of Manchuria (1931) and China (1937), and impact on relations with the West; Three Party/ Tripartite Pact (1940); US embargo (1940)
- Link to markbands
- Paper 1 test (you will be given 75 minutes)
- Chapter 2 in Green Text Book (Japan’s Expansion and international response )