Applying to university is (like)…
Please come up with a metaphor of your own and share it in pairs of groups of three.
1. If you are in Grade 11 and have not already done so, please join our Facebook group YIS College Counseling Class of 2014.
2. We use Twitter to learn about university visits to YIS, potential universities for students and to share valuable resources.
- If you already have an official (school) Twitter account, please follow YISUni here.
- If you don’t have a Twitter account, please create one now and follow @YISUni.
- Please note that I will follow everyone back so that we can be connected via Twitter.
3. As of Saturday afternoon, four students still had not submitted their University Questionnaire. You know who you are… and what you need to do
4. As you know, we are in the process of conducting University Conferences with each Grade 11 student and their family.
- If you have not already made an appointment, please call you parents during this session (Ms. McD. will designate a time to do so) and make an appointment with Ms. Bryan who will be with us for this session.
- Remember that one of your parents can skype in; we did a trial run on Friday and it worked well.
- If there is some compelling reason why you cannot make an appointment, please speak with me privately.
- The last date for University Conferences is Monday 29 April.
5. What should you be doing now: A Checklist
- Create a rich and interesting Long List of universities that you might like to attend. Your final list is due in early September 2013.
- Fill in your University Research Chart (including the cost of tuition + room and board).
- Know what exams you need to take ~ SAT, and SAT Subject Tests or ACT. Register now. Prepare well. As much as is possible, complete your tests in Grade 11.
- Decide if you are pursuing the GCD. Write blog posts over the summer.
- Plan university visits for the summer ~ if that is possible.
- In the summer, begin writing rough drafts of university essays.
** If you are applying to US colleges, please note that the new Common Application Essay Prompts for 2014 are now available HERE
** A Plea From the Admissions Office to Go for the ‘Dangerous’ Essay by Daniel Grayson is the associate director of undergraduate admissions at Tufts University in Medford, Mass.
6. Q + A document here.
7. Sign up for upcoming University Visits here (IE Madrid and Yale).
8. Some interesting reading:
To (All) the Colleges that Rejected Me by Suzy Lee Weiss
An Open Letter to Suzy Lee Weiss by YingYing Shang
Suzy Lee Weiss and the Age of Entitlement (Forbes)
9. Our last University Counseling session of the year will be on Monday June 17 during Period 0.