Have a look at the wikisummary of Thomas L. Friedman’s The World is Flat
Then, read Richard Florida’s article The world is Spiky
Answer the following Questions:
- What is Florida’s view of globalization? How does it differ from Friedman’s?
- What would Florida have to say about the shortcomings of the KOF Index?
- Explain the following statement: “The world today looks flat to some because the economic and social distances between peaks worldwide have gotten smaller.” What does this mean for people living in “valley” areas?
- What would Florida say to someone believing new technologies and transport can level the “spikes”?
- What is your opinion of Florida’s argument? Give specific examples.