1. Space Tourism
$20 million for one week in space.
Backpackers’s space tourism
Virgin Galactic is in the process of creating more affordable space toursim.
Are the risks of space tourism worth the experience?
What do you think of the financial investments put into space tourism?
Is space tourism environmentally friendly?
Can you think of other, perhaps less extreme, non-traditional types of tourism?
- Brainstorm with a partner
- Who owns Antarctica? Find a map of its political boundaries. Explain how these divisions came to be.
- Read the Antarctic treaty summary. Discuss the reasoning behind clauses 1 to 7. Explain the perceived goals of each clauses.
- Read the Antarctic treaty summary. Discuss the reasoning behind clauses 8 to 14. Explain the perceived goals of each clauses.
- Give the main purpose of The Madrid Protocol. Explain why it was necessary, even with the Antarctic treaty already in place.
- Find the website of a company offering tours in Antartica. Describe the main activities offered on one of their tours.
- Find 2 news article depicting the negative consequences of tourism on the Antarctic environment. Summarize the articles. One of the articles must be about a recent shipwreck of a tourist boat.
- Research a semi-permanent settlement on Antarctica at the moment. Describe it’s purpose, functioning, the daily life of its inhabitants, and its impact on the local ecosystem.