Questions to consider as you watch the movie:
-Explain the causes and impacts of Chernobyl
-How did the Russian authorities assess the risk before deciding the strategies of adjustment and response to the disaster?
-Describe the range of responses, at the community, national and international levels, during and after the Chernobyl disaster.
-How was the response to the Chernobyl disaster affected by individual and community perceptions.?
1. In which of these events does Syria seem to play a cooperative role with its neighbors or the international community?
2. In which of these events does Syria seem to be in conflict with its neighbors or the international community
3. What patterns are evident in this behavior?
4. Is Syria in a stronger or weaker position now to cooperate with its neighbors and the international community than it was in the 1970s and 80s?
1. Read Syria’s Role in the Middle East, and answer the questions at the botom of the page.
2. Then, look at the map of the Ottoman Empire on the eve of WWI, and list all the modern countries that were contained in the empire.
3. Next, look at this map on the Picot-Sykes agreement, and list the current Middle East countries the French and British planned to control after WWI.
4. On the blank Map provided, draw in the general area of Greater Syria designed by the General Syrian Congress as described in the reading.
5. In groups, answer the following questions in discussion:
As you watch Episode 1 of the National Geographic series Guns, Germs and Steel, answer the following questions.
Due: 9B- Monday, September 3rd
9D- Tuesday, September 4th
Aljazeera’s Empire program discusses the Syrian crisis with a panel of experts:
As global and regional powers fight their own battles, will Syria’s revolution succeed before the country falls apart?
Once you’ve completed the vocabulary, complete the questions below.
Explain why some people are reluctant to arm the Syrian opposition.
What is the international community’s position towards Al-Assad’s regime?
Why are China and Russia opposed to the UN’s sanctions?
Why are people critical of Kofi Annan’s mission in Syria?
Why is Iran eager to support the Al-Assad regime?
Why is Saudi Arabia opposed to the regime?
With what you have learned so far, what solution do you see to ending the conflict in Syria?
Due: Tuesday August 28th
Create a poster depicting the main features of 2 drought events happening today, or in the past decade.
You may chose to use Niger and the US.
For each one, give 4 pieces of information for each of the following:
Due Monday August 27th