Part 1: Due in 15 minutes
- In groups of 3 or 4, create a Google doc titled “The History of Money- Name#1, Name#2 etc.”
- Make sure to share the Google doc with me.
- Pick one person to record the answers, the other should have their laptops closed.
- Without internet research, discuss the following questions and answer them as best you can on the google doc:
- What is money?
- How do you think people performed transactions (exchanged goods and services) before the invention of money?
- How was money invented?
- List and explain at least 5 different problems associated with money.
Part 2: Due at the end of period 1
Get into new groups of 2 or 3 students (you cannot be with someone form your first group) and answer the questions on this google doc. Make a copy and share it with me. Title: History of Money 2, name#1, name#2 etc
Part 3: 9B Only, Rest of the class.
As a class, put a student’s computer on the overhead projector and watch the documentary below. There are no questions. Just close your laptops and enjoy the show:
The Ascent of Money: Episode 1: Dreams of Avarice. From Shylock’s pound of flesh to the loan sharks of Glasgow, from the ‘promises to pay’ on Babylonian clay tablets to the Medici banking system, Professor Ferguson explains the origins of credit and debt and why credit networks are indispensable to any civilization.