Add a vulnerability section to your 4 CS for this unit:
For each of the following factor, explain in one or two sentences, using one fact, whether it had an effect on the local population’s vulnerability when the hazard event happened
1 Size of Vulnerable Population
2 Population Density
3 A Country’s Level of Development
4 An Individual’s Wealth
5 Public Education
6 Recent Hazard Events
7 Early Warning Systems
8 Building Codes
A Community’s Ability to deal with a Hazard Event
10 Effective Lines of Communication
11 Emergency Personnel
12 Insurance Cover
2. Then, answer the following IB Style Question
Explain how socioeconomic development can affect a specific population’s vulnerability to a major hazard event. 
You should be able to compare and contrast vulnerability between LEDCs and MEDCs.
Part 1, Intro: Due today.
In your table groups, have each person read one of the following article.
–UK workers get least paid leave
-Venice Tourist Ship rattles Windows and Nerves
-HOW MASS TOURISM IS DESTROYING BALI AND ITS CULTURE
-Airbus and AirAsia announce record deal for 200 planes
1. Take turns sharing your article with your group, explaining the main points and the benefits and drawbacks of tourism on the community and/or environment in question.
2. As a group, create a Google doc to answer the following questions. Refer to the articles in your answers. Make sure to share the Google doc with me.
- Why do people travel? List at least 5 reasons.
- What advantages does travel have for tourists?
- What advantages does travel have for the host country or region?
- What disadvantages does tourism have for the host country or region?
Part 2: Space Tourism
$20 million for one week in space.
Backpackers’s space tourism
Virgin Galactic is in the process of creating more affordable space toursim.
Are the risks of space tourism worth the experience?
What do you think of the financial investments put into space tourism?
Is space tourism environmentally friendly?
Can you think of other, perhaps less extreme, non-traditional types of tourism?
- Brainstorm with a partner
Part 3: Tourism in Antarctica
In groups of 2 or 3, answer one of the following questions:
- Who owns Antarctica? Find a map of its political boundaries. Explain how these divisions came to be.
- Read the Antarctic treaty summary. Discuss the reasoning behind clauses 1 to 7. Explain the perceived goals of each clauses.
- Read the Antarctic treaty summary. Discuss the reasoning behind clauses 8 to 14. Explain the perceived goals of each clauses.
- Give the main purpose of The Madrid Protocol. Explain why it was necessary, even with the Antarctic treaty already in place.
- Find the website of a company offering tours in Antartica. Describe the main activities offered on one of their tours.
- Find 2 news article depicting the negative consequences of tourism on the Antarctic environment. Summarize the articles. One of the articles must be about a recent shipwreck of a tourist boat.
- Research a semi-permanent settlement on Antarctica at the moment. Describe it’s purpose, functioning, the daily life of its inhabitants, and its impact on the local ecosystem.
You will present your findings to the class.