Modify the event:
Quick, 1 per table group. Find one example the following in relation to either earthquakes, droughts, hurricanes or the BP oil spill.
- Assess risk of a specific hazard event
- Preparedness adjustment
- Modify a hazard event
- Modify loss
Next: Fill out this document.
Then, for each of your case studies, add a section titled: Assessment and Response.
Then, answer the following questions:
- What type of assessment was done prior to the disaster event?
- What was done to limit the hazard event itself?
- Describe strategies designed to limit the damage from the hazard event. (insurance, zoning, government policies, education etc)
- To what extent were the residents prepared for such an event?
- What is the difference between rescue, rehabilitation and reconstruction?
- How are these responses affected by individual and community perceptions?
- For each of your case studies, list the short-term, mid-term and long-term responses after the event.
- For each of your case studies, discuss the importance of re-assessing risk, and re-examining vulnerability, following the disaster.