Outcome: Examine the impacts at a variety of scales of trade barriers, agricultural subsidies, bilateral and multilateral agreements, and transnational corporations (TNCs) on the production and availability of food.
1. Background information:
2. Watch this video and use this article to answer the questions below:
- Describe the main lines of NAFTA
- What are the benefits of NAFTA for the US? Be specific
- What are the benefits of NAFTA for the Mexico? Be Specific
- What are the benefits of NAFTA on TNCs? Be Specific
- Explain how American subsides hurt Mexican farmers
- Explain the benefits of changing Mexico’s economy from agriculture to manufacturing
- How will China change the benefits listed in question 5
- What has been the impact of NAFTA on Mexican food prices?
- Can you guess what the environmental impacts this will have on Mexico?
- Can you guess what the political impacts this will have on Mexico?
3. Watch the following video, read this article and answer the questions below
- Define: plantation farming, contract farming and commercial farming 
- Evaluate the impacts of commercial farming in Ethiopia. 
Read Cordington p. 440 to 443 and answer questions on p. 443: 1, 2, 3, 4 and question 5 in one page instead of 2, as a 10 point paper 2 essay..