Discuss the sovereignty rights of nations in relation to territorial limits and exclusive economic zones (EEZ).
Conflict: Examine a geopolitical conflict in relation to an oceanic resource, other than fishing.
Dredging: Start around 29:00
Who Owns the Arctic?
- Arctic loosing ice at record speeds
- Stephen Haprer, Canada’s Prime Minister is “Obsessed with the Arctic”
- Russia explores it’s old Nuclear Waste Dumps
- The Kulluk incident in pictures
- Hans Island
As you watch the videos. Take detailed notes on your google doc to answer the following questions:
- Who owns the Artic?
- Why are countries so interested in claiming a part of the Arctic Ocean?
- What are the risks of exploiting the Arctic?
- How is Canada laying claim to the Arctic?
- How is Russia laying claim to the Arctic?
- What is the importance of the North West Passage?
- What are America and Denmark’s main claims to the Arctic?
Start at 5:00
IB Style Question:
Referring to specific nations, discuss the geopolitical issues that arise over ocean areas.  (SPEC – 3d)