Quick review from last class:
- 1: What is the atmosphere of the earth?
- 2. What is the importance of a) clouds and b) carbon dioxide in the energy balance of the earth?
- 3. Why is it warmer in summer than winter?
- 4. Describe how heat is transferred from the tropics towards the poles
- 5. Using an annotated diagram only:
- illustrate the variations in temperature and pressure with altitude in the atmosphere.
- Explain what happens to incoming solar radiation as it passes through the earth’s atmosphere.
Part 2: IB requirements: Discuss the causes and environmental consequences of global climate change.
A simplified explanation:
Post lecture exercise task:
Produce a 5 minute presentation that discusses the causes and consequences of global climate change.
- Groups of 3
- The report should presented as a Google presentation
- Include images and diagrams (should be integrated into the report)
- Focus mainly on the environmental consequences, but include socio-economic consequences as well
- No need to explain climate change itself
- Consider the severity of consequences depending on temperature change
- Give a short list of possible and plausible solutions
- We will present next class, followed by a short debate
Topics: At least 3 per groups
- Sea level rise
- Increased storm activity/ Change in rainfall pattern /El Nino
- Change in agricultural pattern
- Temperature variations and heat waves
- Acidification of oceans
- Melting ice caps
- Wildlife extinction
- Growth of the tropical belt
- Human health: spread of disease, respiratory disease, Natural disasters, nutrition, stress