Modify the event:
Quick, 1 per table group.
1. Distinguish between rescue, rehabilitation and reconstruction response
2. Find one example the following in relation to either earthquakes, droughts, hurricanes or the BP oil spill, either before or after the event.
- Assessment method of risk of a specific hazard event
- Preparedness adjustment
- Modify a hazard event
- Modifying loss
You will split into three groups. Each group will be responsible for completing the Assessment, Response and Adjustment part of each of our case studies.
- 3/11 or Haiti earthquake
- Hurricane Katrina
- The 2012 California drought
- The Deepwater Horizon BP oil spill
You will create a 5 – 10 minute presentation and a one page factsheet answering the following questions:
- Describe the risk assessment that was done prior to the disaster event?
- Explain what was done, if anything to limit the hazard event itself?
- Describe strategies designed to limit the damage and vulnerability from the hazard event. (insurance, zoning, government policies, education etc)
- To what extent were the residents prepared for such an event?
- Explain how these responses were affected by individual and community perceptions?
- List the short-term, mid-term and long-term responses after the event
- Discuss the importance of re-assessing risk, and re-examining vulnerability, following the disaster
- If the same event happened tomorrow in the same location, would the damage be greater or less? Explain your answer.
- Make sure to include, maps, graphs, MLA sourcing and proper vocabulary.
- You will have 4 double blocks to work on your presentation.
- You will peer assess your presentation based on the IB rubric, and include clear comments as to why you gave your peers this grade.
- Include your groups, study notes and presentation here
- Email me if you have any questions
- Presentations will be on Monday January 18th.