IB learning Outcomes:
- Describe the sources and distribution of pollution in the oceans.
- Discuss the implications of the pollution of oceans by the disposal of radioactive material, oil and chemical waste.
1: Here is the worksheet for the lecture.
2: As you watch the videos,create a brain frame diagram on the source(s) and consequences of each type of ocean pollution
- Oil – We will cover oil in more depth in the Hazards Unit next semester.
- Radioactive Material
- Chemical Waste
The Pacific Gyre Garbage Patch
Part 1 at 18:00
Part 3 at 6:40
Part 3: On the shared Google doc, give a brief timeline and explain the source, distribution and implications of one of the following case studies:
- Radioactive waste disposal in Russia
- The London Dumping Convention
- “Plastic Soup” of waste in pacific Ocean (great garbage patch)
- Nuclear Waste dumping off the coast of Somalia
You will present your CS to the class on Friday