We have been looking at how the stock market works, and began researching how to make profit from the stock market in the Smartstocks portfolio assessment.
This week, we will look at the ways the stockmarket can loose money…lots of it!
- What do you know bout the 1920s?
- What do you know abut the 1929 stock market crash?
- What do you know about the great depression?
In groups, you will each be given a question to answer about the 1929 crash:
You will have 15 minutes to prepare a short presentation answering your question, and explaining 5 new vocabulary terms associated to the crash.
0. Explain what happened on Black Tuesday and Black Thursday
- Argue that margin buying was the main cause of the crash
- Argue that overvalued stocks was the main cause of the crash
- Argue that federal reserve policies was the main cause of the crash
- Argue that Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act was the main cause of the crash
- Argue that the general state of the economy was the main cause of the crash
- Argue that psychological reasons was the main cause of the crash
Put your presentation pictures, graphs and vocabulary words here. (no more than 5 words per slide)
Part 2: The Crash
All of this is rather complicated. In groups of 3 or 4, try to explain the causes of the 1929 stock market crash, using the vocabulary you acquired in this unit in a single paragraph. Input your paragraph here.
Part 3: the 2008 crash
I will be absent on Monday and Tuesday of next week to take part in the Gr 11 IB Geography field-trip in Shimoda.