- Describe cultural traits in terms of language, customs, beliefs, dress, images, music, food and technology. (Guinness p. 142 -155)
- Examine the diffusion of cultural traits resulting from the international movement of workers, tourists and commodities. (Mexico-US CS)
- Describe the role of TNCs and the media in spreading consumer culture. Guinness (p. 156 – 167)
- Select two different branded commodities and examine the spatial and temporal pattern of adoption on a global scale.
We will read together Noreen Janus’s text in Guinness p. 158
Then, as yo watch the videos:
- Define Marketing
- Define Brand and Branding
- Explain how can a TNC commodify a culture?
- What historical events have lead to the rise of the Consumer Culture?
The rise of Consumer Culture
- Is there a global culture?
- How is it spread?
- Who or what is creating it?
- What is the economic impact of consumer culture for the core and the periphery?
- What is the cultural impact?
The Century of the Self – 10:00 to 14:00
Are you a good consumer? How many of the brands can you name and locate geographically?
- How would you fare with heads of state? Flowers?
- Source: geographyalltheway.com: Globalization: Global Brands from Richard Allaway
Part 2: Select two different branded commodities and examine the spatial and temporal pattern of adoption on a global scale.
In 2 groups:
- Using Codrington p. 622 to 625 and Guinness p. 161 to 166, and Geographyalltheway.
- Each group will answer the following questions using Coca-Cola or McDonald’s as a case study:
- You may pick another company, but you won’t have all the resources available.
- Give an example of reverse adaptation
- Give an example of adoption
- Give an example of adaptation
- Describe your company’s brand identity and brand image
- List the various spatial pattern of adoption of your company on a global scale. Consider physical, economic and social factors.
- Create a timeline listing the various temporal pattern of adoption of your company on a global scale. Consider physical, economic and social factors.
You will present your findings to the rest of the class tomorrow.