We have discussed the benefits and drawbacks of tourism, and looked at the history of the Olympic games.
Major sporting events have always had their shares of controversy.
South Korea 1986
Brazil 2014 World Cup
In groups, you will create a short presentation describing a controversy surrounding an upcoming major sporting event.
Create a 5 (max) minute PowerPoint presentation (10 slides max) describing:
- The reason your city wanted to host the event
- The benefits of hosting the event
- The drawbacks of hosting the event
- The main lines of the controversy
- Answer these questions:
- Should the event still take place?
- Would you still patronize the event?
- The slides may not contain more than 5 words each. They should be used solely as visual aids and prompts, not essay pages.
- You may not read from a piece of paper or laptop either. All information must be in your own words.
- Be ready to answer questions from your peers.
Possible Topics – 2 teams can pick the same event, not the same controversy
- The Rio Olympics 2016
- The PyeongChang Winter Olympics 2018
- Russian World Cup 2018
- The Tokyo Olympics 2020
- Beijing Winter Olympics 2022
- The Qatar World Cup 2022
- Any other with teacher consent
You will present on Monday