IB requirement: Explain the causes of soil degradation. Discuss the environmental and socio-economic consequences of this process, together with management strategies.
Read one of the following articles and report back to the class. Divide the reading equally and give a section to report per person.
- Group of 4: WWF – Soil Erosion and Degradation
- Group of 1: Soil erosion as big a problem as global warming
- Group of 4: Time Magazine: What if the World’s Soil Runs out?
- Group of 4: African Farmers face Soil Erosion, fertiliser puzzle
- Group of 1: ‘Slow, insidious’ soil erosion threatens human health and welfare as well as the environment, Cornell study asserts
Loess Plateau CS
As you watch the video, take notes on
- the reasons for soil degradation
- the socio-economic consequences of soil degradation
- Explain and evaluate the management strategies that have been used to control soil degradation
- Research and suggest 3 other possible management strategies
Written task: IB style questions: (email me your answers before the end of class)
- Briefly state the different reasons for soil degradation between LEDCs and MEDCs. 
- Write a thesis statement for these past paper question, including 3 arguments and a case study.
- Examine the following statement: “Soil is a non-renewable resource” 
- “Of all the environmental challenges we face, soil degradation is the most serious.”Discuss this statement.