Introduction to Psychology and the study of human behaviour.
Nature vs nurture discussion
- What did your nature vs. nurture activity tell you?
- Did you disagree with your parents on some parts?
- Can you come up with a general correlation or rule?
- Last class, we looked at twin studies and what they tell us. twin studies nature vs. nurture. What conclusion can we make from studying twins? How does this relate to you?
Watch the following clip on twins separated at birth, then answer the following questions:
- What unethical decision was responsible for the situation described in this video?
- Can you think of situation when it might be justified to be unethical in the pursuit of scientific knowledge of genetics or evolution?
- What is the most powerful evidence in this video that nature is more influential than nurture in explaining, predicting, or understanding human behavior?
Here is a more detailed video of the twin girls separated at birth. Summarize the findings of twin studies and what they can tell us about the nature vs. nurture debate.
In groups, try to come up with broad generalisations about behaviour associated with nature and nurture. Can you find some kind of pattern?
Exercise: In groups, you will read Law p251 to 256 and each group will explain their section of the reading and answer these questions:
- 253 #1a, b
- 253 #1 c, d
- 254 #2
- 256 #3a, b
- 256#3c, d